Is the standard mac mouse fine

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brenton, Mar 30, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

Sep 9, 2004
    Is the white mouse that comes with most macs good enough or will I need a 2 button mouse
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I use the trackpad on my iBook...

...but when it comes to mice, I prefer a two button scrollwheel mouse (where the scrollwheel doubles as a third button)...
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    up to your personal preference and useage

i, and many others here get along just fine and happily with the one button mice, i actually almost prefer it over the two+ mice

but if you prefer and are more accustomed to the mulit button way of doing things then by all means go that route

the one button mouse works without a problem, but it may not be what you want, it really is something that you have to decide on your own
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    If you are wondering if a one-button mouse is sufficient, then yeah. I use only one-button and so do a lot of people.

But...Are you OK with using ctrl-clicks? Do you prefer a two-button mouse? Do you like 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, plus buttons? Do you like to use a scroll wheel? This is not something anyone here can answer.
  5. brenton thread starter macrumors member

Sep 9, 2004
    I like scrollwheels. But it was a great using a one button mouse on the emac last semester in school August-December. but. i didnt like going all the way to the right corner to scroll. Is there anyway of scrolling that I may not know or have forgotten. other then that. the one button mouse will be fine for me.
    also, the one button mouse can do everything a 2 button mouse can do by doing ctrl right?
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ctrl+click does everything a right click would do

i use a keyboard a lot, you can always scroll with arrow keys, page up/page down, or if you are just want to go down a page hitting the space bar in a browser is the easiest

with OnyX you can also put double scroll arrows at both ends of the scroller which is always helpful as well
  7. brenton thread starter macrumors member

Sep 9, 2004
    That settles it

Thanks alot placeofdis. Now I am going to get the apple branded mouse. but I always had a question. whats the difference of the black and white apple mouses that are out now
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the black were the old pro mouses, used with the old powermacs if i am correct

dont forget there is the regular wired mouse and the BT one now if your mac has a BT module i would recommend that one, its the one i have and is amazing, nice not having wires too
  9. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    I've got the BT mouse as well and it works great most of the time. It is a little heavy on batteries but the wireless experience is nice. I do prefer a trackball to most everything, and may get one here in the very near future.
  10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    my one button mac mouse is here somewhere... I know because one year ago I did unpack it with my G5, then noticed it being to slow and to big (personal opinion off course) and took my 3/4y old Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical and I still am using this one

scrollwheel wheelclick for double clicking... both are interesting features for normal use but have allso a function in Photoshop (wich I use everyday...) and sometimes its faster to do it without the need to grab the keyboard (wich I use for fast tool switch & other shortcuts...)
  11. AstroManLuca macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    I think someone needs to teach me that yes, the Apple mouse (or any other cheap mouse) is sufficient.

Right now I'm on a $60 Logitech MX1000. Oh yeah, it rocks. But seriously, it's a freakin' MOUSE.
  12. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    I prefer 2 buttons and a scrollwheel, but I also like to use Apple branded products where possible.

In an ideal world (sshhh - don't tell Steve we're not quite there yet) I'd use the "Apple wireless 2 button mouse with scrollwheel".

In fact, I mainly use the trackpad on my iBook but I am getting an Apple wireless (1 button and no scrollwheel) mouse soon.

At work I use a DELL :eek: mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel and it is vey efficient. Looks like a piece of cr*p though.
  13. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Is the standard Apple mouse fine? It works well, but how well it'll work for you isup to you.

Some programs work better with 2 buttons and a scrollwheel. On my laptop, I tend to us ethe trackpad around half the time and the rest of the time is a 2button+scrollwheel bluetooth mouse.

On my desktop Mac, I use a 2 button+scrollwheel wired mouse.

Personal preference and all that. And speaking of that, when you go to buy a mouse, make sure you can see how it feels in your hand and you like where the buttons are and the feel of the scrollwheel. Every hand is different, so what mouse feels good and will work is different for each person.