is the stock market and investing in general a good idea now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 15, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
  2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    No one knows.... However, I have alot of broker friends, and they were complaining during the downturn that everybody has it backwards. They all know to buy low and sell high, they just can't control themselves enough to do that.

I started an IRA two years ago, so I could get the tax benefits. Last summer when the market bottomed real low I called my broker and bought the IRA for last year. I asked him if it was a good time, he said, "I can't say that it isn't going to go down more, but I sorta doubt it." He was right. It didn't do down more, and has been slowly creaping up.

There are some clear signs that the economy is about to bust loose again. If you are investing for the short term, you might take the gamble. If you are investing for the long term, I would definitely invest. (applies to Mutual Funds. :) there sure has been some shady accounting that has caused some giants to fall.) :(

It doesn't look like I will be able to afford this year's IRA until the end of the year, and I am kinda bummed. With Greenspan saying the worst is over, I bet I am going to pay alot more than if I could buy now.

By the way, just my 2 cents. I am an investing moron. Don't blame me if you lose your shirt. :) Of yeah, don't listen to what I said. :)
  3. brogers macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2002
    Greensboro, NC
    Depends on your Age

I still feel like the stock market will yeild the most for me considering my age (mid thirties). I'm in it for the long term with my 401K. I keep close track of it and as long as I don't loose what I personally contribute and the loses stay lower than my company match, then I am not really loosing MY money.

Things will turn. They always do. Long term for me = stocks.
  4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    it's literally for the "long run"

I think at this's better to make investments in other things other than's way too hard to guage who's gonna actually pull out of this slump...

I've made a few investments in CD's the past couple years...although they are a low interest return...they are guaranteed and it's much better than just sitting on cash or waiting a few years for stock prices to rise...
  5. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    With the present crisis of an impending war in the news, I'd go for big construction companies (someone's going to have to rebuild the place after it gets flattened...).

Perhaps even CNN, Fox News or Sky News - their value will only increase because of the looming hostilities (someone's going to have to cover the conflict - and that means ratings and revenue...).

But then again, I don't dabble.

6. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2002
  7. pivo6 macrumors 68000

Dec 2, 2002
    It all depends on your reasons for investing. If you are investing for the long-term (i.e. retirement) than it probably is a good time to invest, depending on your time horizon.

if you are investing for the short term (1 to 2 years), then it get's a little trickier. I'm sure there are some companies whose stock orice will go up, but which ones will is anyone's guess.

The economy is on the bottom of a cycle now and will go up. I wish I could tell you when.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    yeah it all depends on whether you want security or return. now isn't the greatest time to invest in stock; but it happens. doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't buy. finding a broker that can navigate the rougher waters will do you a lot of good-- i never liked brokers tho...

CDs are definitely the way to go if you want security. Not a bad rate, and you're not going to get screwed.

if you're looking long-term, start a retirement fund separate from everything else, so you can stand to have things slow during downturns. you don't want to be moving your money around much right now, that's for sure... if you get something that works, don't play with it :)

9. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Put all your money in cruise missle stocks.

Seriously, the only stock investment worth something is an IRA or 401K. Mutual funds aren't doing anything. Picking individuals stocks is for pros only, otherwise you're gambling. The best investment right now is buying a house and paying off your bills and credit cards.

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
  11. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    I still think the stock market is the best vehicle for long term growth, although the US market for the most part still seems a little overvalued. Personally, there are a couple of nice Canadian stocks that are pretty good.
    ATY is one of them, they seem to be catching up to Nvidia and they're executing much better than before. It won't be long before their revenues and profits start soaring again.