Is the Superdrive a dual layer burner?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by greggaway, Nov 24, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just wondering if it is. I am about to get a G5 and I'd rather get a combo drive and put a more performant DVD burner in there.

Thanks for your feedback

Gregory

2. macrumors 68020

daveL

No, not currently. I have a new PM and a new iMac, neither are DL.

3. macrumors 6502a

Have a look on the Apple Australia site here ... it should tell you.

I'm surprised you didn't look there first ... :rolleyes:

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback.

I had a look on the australian website before hand but I just wanted to make sure.

;)

5. macrumors 68040

maya

The Super Drive that Apple uses is not ADVERTISED as a dual layer drive. However from what I understand it takes a firmware update to make a DVD +/- dual format drive to make it a dual layer drive.

The dual layer drives are not hard to make, its the dual layer discs that are a challenge.

6. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I don't think a firmware update could make a regular drive a DL drive. It's a different laser unit. The laser needs to be able to burn at different tempertures.

7. macrumors 68040

maya

i read this in a few articles, in regards to single and dual layer. All that is needed is a firmware update since the drive is the same the firmware only allow for additional control over the laser head and temperature.

Google it, I you choose. :)

It also makes mention that dual layer discs are harder than expected to produce.

note: it has to be a DVD +/- capable drive for this to happen. :)

8. macrumors 68020

daveL

I think you are referring to some speculation on hardmac about a reported DVR-117 drive in some new G5 PMs. They thought it might be a crippled DVR-108 drive. This was never confirmed, and nobody has gotten any PM drive to do DL after a firmware update, at least not that I've seen reported.

Also, I'm not sure about your reference to DVD -/+, since the current DL media is DVD9+ only. The DVD9- format won't be available until early next year; it doesn't exist, yet.

I have a PM G5 2x2.5 GHz that I got in mid-September. It has a DVR-107D in it. It is not DL.

9. macrumors 68000

Veldek

At least, they're still working on it:

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-11-24#3276

10. macrumors 6502

Just buy a DVR-108 for $75 and put it in yourself for less than the SD costs.

11. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Won't that void your warranty? Airport and RAM I thought were the only "user-upgradable" things you could do w/o zapping your warranty...

12. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

To answer the other part of the question, you can swap out the SuperDrive for a Combo as one of the BTO options on the Apple online store, to save some cash for a dual layer burner if you so wish.

13. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Not in a PowerMac...

14. macrumors 6502

So, if I'm getting this straight: the current SuperDrives have +/- burning capabilities, but only single layer?

Also, as kind of new to DVD authoring, which is more compatible with more (United States region) DVD players, + or -?

15. macrumors 68000

mklos

DVD-R is most common and the most compatible in the US.

16. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

maybe it is just me... i am quite confused. sorry for this...

if i install a dual layer drive in my dual 2.0, any idea if it would work?

17. macrumors 68000

mklos

You could probably install it and it would work, but not with iDVD.

18. macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

'Bout a month ago, I was in the local CompUSA, and notice that the PM that was on the sales floor had a Pioneer DVR-A08 ( DL drive ). I would suggest looking at the drive in the machine you buy to see if it one of these drives. Worse case scenario, you could buy a Pioneer Superdrive, and put it in an external FireWire case. I did this for an old G4, and it works great.

On the notion that a firmware upgrade for Superdrives being impossible, I suggest that more research be done before making such comments. SONY, LG, and NEC have all been able to upgrade older drives to DL with a simple firmware patch. The Laser units are the same.

For more information on the formats, search the Rumor's boards. This topic has covered many, many times.

Max.

19. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There is an easer egg that will allow you to use any (internal, FW, USB) DVD burner with iDVD, just google 'idvd easer egg' and you'll find a wealth of information.

20. macrumors 68000

mklos

Which isn't absolutely guaranteed to work on all drives.

21. macrumors 6502

Patchburn is a program designed to incorporate internal drives for iLife apps.

http://www.patchburn.de/

22. macrumors 68040

maya

Contrary to what others say if you have movie content burned to a DVD+ disc it will play fine in ANY, US or other stand alone DVD player, as long as you have the region code right and the PAL, NTSC issues.

DVD+ will work in most DVD stand alone players some very early DVD players might have a minor issue however that was years ago when DVD stand alone players cost over 2000 USD ( I am pretty sure you do not own one of these).

DVD- is the same as the above description.

DVD+ Dual Layer will also play in a stand alone DVD player, however same as above there could be minor problems with older players.

DVD manufacturers might try to sell and make more money to make the average home movie users to buy "a compliant DVD stand alone player" however it is not needed.

Dual-Layer writer hardware is easy to make its the optical DVD discs that are tricky and hard until it matures.

DVD + and DVD - are just two writing formats there are BOTH compatible on DVD stand alone players.

23. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Does he mean, easter egg? Or really easer?

24. macrumors 68040

maya

He meant "EASTER EGG". :)

And if it is a well know brand it most likely will be included in the Easter Egg. :)

Sony
    Plextor
    etc...etc....etc...