Is the weather ever bad in Socal?

Discussion in 'Community' started by craigdawg, Nov 19, 2004.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I was in Pasadena yesterday for a conference and met a friend of mine for lunch and a ride back to the airport.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day and incredibly clear. The termometer in her car registered a perfect 79 degrees.

I hate you. ;)

When I got back home (Sactown) it was 54 and foggy. I haven't seen the sun here in 3 - 4 days. Now I know it could be worse, but for California this sucks. At least if it was raining, I know I'd see the sun eventually.

2. wisswee macrumors newbie

santa barbara = amazing

considering santa barbara's paradise, it's always perfect weather PERFECT
    nights are a little cold, but it's november and our days are almost too hot

la is too hot in the summer

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

They had some rain a couple weeks back in LA, didn't they?

How's the smog situation down there -- last time I was there (late '80s), it was like flying into a toilet bowl.

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I'm in "The OC" and the weather's always pretty nice. If you're closer to the water, you do get this cold morning marine layer fog quite often, but it's usually gone by noon. :)

I can't remember the last time we went a whole day without seeing the sun. Probably a few weeks back, when it rained.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Smog, rain, mudslides, earthquakes, fog, drought, forest/hill/countryside fires - its very nice quite a bit, but it has its equally not so nice moments....

D

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Don't forget the volcano that came up in the middle of Wilshire Boulevard a few years ago. :rolleyes:

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, the weather is always perfect everywhere in Southern California all year. Except for November. Except for the last week or two, when it's been great. And by law it must be sunny on the date of the Rose Parade, which is January 1st (or January 2nd if January 1st is a Sunday). That's why so many people watch the parade and then move here.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it sure is one of the main attractions here. Sure, smog is fun to breath and sitting in traffic gives you lots of time to listen to the radio, but getting a tan on the beach while others are shoveling snow in the rest of the country (and some parts of the state) is awfully tempting.

I gave a ride to an out-of-town visitor a few days ago. She grew up in Kansas, lives in New York, and was amazed to see Palm trees waving in the sunshine, with the beach a few miles away and snow-capped mountains visible in the other direction, mid-November.

Santa Claus has already set up shop at the Disney California Adventure amusement park (where I was last week), so you can get photos of the kiddies sitting on his lap. He's part of a Hawaiian hula show! That's a little odd for Santa in most of the rest of the country, but not here.

Now I'll go back to sipping my piña colada and relaxing in my hammock.

8. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

In my 25+ years of Rose Bowl watching, I don't ever remember it raining for the game. It might have happened, but I don't remember.

What I appreciate most about California weather is the absence of humidity. I've adjusted to the heat where I live (sometimes 100+ in the summer) but, as they say, "it's a dry heat." I've been in the Great Lakes area and New York during the summer and the humidity is stifling. I hate it.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Some rain, but the nice kind. Where it feels nice and you just say, "The hills are gonna be green now!" Not "oh-crap-batton-down-the-hatches-and-grab-the-sandbags."

I like it...

10. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I'm in the Socal desert....Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage area....driving home from work this afternoon around 1:30pm and it was 80 degrees, sunny, palm trees, and off in the distance was Mt. San Jacinto reaching up to 10,000 ft and snow capped. THAT is a sight...palm trees with snow glistening behind them. I was in Laguna Beach this week for business and the smog produced the most visually stunning sunset. God bless smog... yeack! yeah right.

I would drop all this sunshine and warmth in a heartbeat if i was able to move back to Tahoe (were it is sunny 3/4 of the time, the rest is dropping massive snow). Lived there for 2 years prior to moving here 5 months ago. So, in my opinion, Norcal has it's plusses.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You're right, sometimes the smog is to thick and heavy the ground shakes. ;)

12. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Your avatar makes me thirsty for milk...mmmm....

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Today's Forecast: Sunny

Extended 7-day Forecast: Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I look forward to rain, it's a nice change to the norm. But I only say that because it rains so rarely.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No the weather here is terrible. Plus we have earthquakes every day here. The smog is awful, you can't hardly breath because of it. It's been rainy a lot lately. The surf is terrible, the girls are ugly, and the food sucks.

I wouldn't recommend coming here at all. Stay right where you are. ;)

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Isn't this what Southern Cali is all about? :D It's the sun man...
    Seriously, in the entire time that I have lived there, about 2 years, it rained maybe 10-15 times, was never cloudy for longer than a day and had an awesome temperature throughout most of the year. For the weather I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    Right now I'm in rainy-land. Berlin, although such an awesome city, has one of the worst weathers out there.
    Geee you guys had to bring it up, just to make me feel bad didn't you? :p

17. spasticmutant macrumors member

Ahhh, Southern California... Come for the sun, but stay for the wildfires! Last year at this time I was still coughing up black stuff from all the smoke and ash billowing about from the four HUGE fires raging in San Diego a couple weeks before. My location was under the confluence of two of the largest blazes, so the two smoke plumes joined right over us on their ride to the sea.

Then my tech employer had a big layoff, just two weeks later. I survived, but many didn't, and those of us remaining were shaking like angry democrats in fear of yet another axe fall. Then, my boyfriend surprise-dumped me. But all was not lost! I bolted before they could lay me off too, moved north to a new job in the Bay Area, and haven't looked back.

They laid off a bunch more only last week.

So. If you have minimum $600,000 for a house, don't mind if it's threatened by wildfires or burns down occasionally, have extremely stable (non-tech related) job prospects and stable personal relationships, I highly recommend San Diego or Orange County.

Anne Marie

18. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I have been living in south orange county for almost 3 years, 2 years in northern California before that. The weather is nice, yes, but I don't surf and I don't play golf. In other words I am screwed. This region feels a bit like a cultural wasteland to me...

I have met that someone special down here, and I also have a darn cool job. And the sun shines all the time, I am not complaining :) , but I can't say I feel at home in southern California. I'd rather be in a place where pleople are a bit less complacent and question themselves a bit more, rather than cookie cutter their houses, habits and physical looks.

no, no, I am not bitter :p
    Maybe I'll just buy a piece of 'dirt cheap' land in Joshua Tree and enjoy the dry heat there :)

19. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

i agree completely....as for joshua tree... it's pretty much in my back yard.

norcal is different than socal...friendlier up north...

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hehe, don't let a little wildfire scare ya :D
    Seriously SoCal, especially OC, is a very nice place to live. Life is a lot more relaxed there than it is in other places.
    I cannot comment on jobs because when I lived there, the only things I thought about were surfing, girls and fun. :D :rolleyes:
    Now I'd like to go back just to surf a bit again and just leave all that seriousness behind me for a month or so... that'd be nice.
    Oh well, gotta study, gotta work.
    Damn this thread :D

21. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I think you're describing a rare day in Pasadena; I usually see smog and too much heat.

My hometown is Crescent City, CA, which is nestled between the redwoods and the ocean. It's always beautiful here; if it's raining and foggy, the redwoods are a great place to go to see the natural climate of the forest. If it's sunny it never gets above 75 degrees fahrenheit, and the beach becomes the place to be. Also, sunsets are unmatched here.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The great wildfires was a result of a lotta people messing up. Plus the aircraft that were supposed to be guarding that area were returned to their normal area a few days before. It sucked, but we had no school for a week! And my school raised over $3,000 for a school that was burned down... it sucked, but overall was not horrible.