Is the Wii region free?

Discussion in 'Games' started by farqueue, Jan 1, 2007.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hey guys, i just got a Wii with no games for christmas here in new zealand.
    I was wondering if the wii is region free? If so i can get zelda from US sites because here is currently out of stock at the mo and takes up to 3 weeks to ship:confused:

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I'm sure I've heard that the wii itself is region free, but it is up to the game publishers whether they want to lock the games or not...

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No on Wii on both the machine & hardware is region locked.

The 360 is region free if publishers wish to do so. Most do.

The PS3 is region free, but sony have stopped people importing games & hardware (by making it illegal for online retailers to sekll out of teritory) making it a completely redundant feature.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's the systems achilles' heel. Especially when the system is very portable and makes travelling easy you would have thought Region Free would be a priority. I was about to say "well it'd do no harm!" but I got an email off Nintendo just before Advance Wars 2 came out in Europe, asking us not to import games as it harms European gaming stats or something.

In the end I bought AW2 from a little import shop in Glossop :D

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Typical corporate response. Blame the consumer and lay a guilt trip on them, rather than be pro-active, and release games at the same time as they are released in other territories.

Nintendo are to blame if people get sick and tired of waiting for months before a game is released in europe, and then choose to import.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Indeed. Though it is nice that PAL games get bug fixes, I like the feeling that we're not the guinea pigs. But I hate the feeling of waiting for it :p

8. pcypert macrumors 6502

It's kind of lame really when you look at the other half of the world. They're selling DVD's and games like hot cakes without regions over here (well technically in Thailand we have a region, but everywhere you go they sell all region DVD players). The times they are a changing and Sony was actually with it on this one.

IMHO not having all region and voltage for all electronics is about the two stupidest things a company could do...not sure if they go the voltage thing down or not as I've yet to look...but people travel these days and if you don't support it people will eventually buy the one that does...

Paul

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

im pretty sure hte Wii is region free because Nintendo made the DS Lites region free. That would be contrary to their message of inclusion lol. Plus i believe people were selling ebays to ppl in AU, UK, Europe, Japan when the Wii came out in N. America

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You are free to buy a wii from any region, that does not make it regionfree.

Region Free implies if I buy a Japanese game, I could play it in my UK console. Or if I buy a USA machine I could play Pal games on it.

But that is not the case. Nintendo have restricted regions, so a Japanese game will not work on anything other than a Japanese console, a european pal game will only work on a pal machine etc.

Even the wii's virtual console is region restricted. I can not buy VC games from Japan or USA. In fact it restricts me by not even allowing me to select that country within the console.

The wii is completely Region Locked whether you like it or not. Personally I wish it wasnt.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The game is everywhere in Australia. You could try ordering from an online Australian gaming store.

12. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

Its not as cheap as US stores tho:D

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Considering the US NTSC version will not work on your NZ PAL version I don't see how that matters? I'm just trying to help you get a copy of the game quickly if you really want it, if you don't I guess this whole thread is pretty pointless. ;)