Is the world getting dumb?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hansen, Aug 7, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Wired's Cult of Mag Blog (http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/) has one entry named "Official: Mac Users Are Smarter", which apparently shows that mac users are smarter than linux and Windows users. Further down there's an entry named "Linux More Popular Than Mac?" suggesting that Mac is loosing second place to Linux.

Is there a common mechanism behind these two? :)

(btw I'm still on Windows - what does that say about me?)

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you even need to ask? :eek:

3. macrumors regular

That is no indication whatsoever as to how "smart" somebody is. I know people who are extremely intelligent, but use "internet language" to add personality and character to the things they write, which of course, means writing with strange spellings and what have you. So running this program to produce readability metrics is a joke.

I'm a Mac user, by the way.

4. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your sentence requires the addition of a comma.

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

6. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

My friend, it's not really a matter of "getting."

7. macrumors 601

stoid

I ask myself this question aloud just about every time I get behind the wheel of my car and am forced to deal with idiots on the road. I think that people should be required to pass an intelligence or maybe a common sense exam before they are issued their motor vehicle license.

8. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

WORD

Bolded for truth!

9. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...if you happened to have clicked the link that the now banned newbie DIKKI posted in all of his spam threads the answer to that question would be obvious....oh yeah!

10. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Why Yes, Yes it is...

11. Moderator emeritus

yellow

GETTING dumb? I thought it was already appallingly stupid..

12. macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I don't know about intelligence, but common sense sure as hell is disappearing rather quickly.

13. macrumors regular

ditto

14. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    AMEN to that!

15. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Fabulous link. I've always detested PowerPoint, and I used it all the time at the Educational Technology department at my district years ago - it was so hard to make something look interesting and creative with that piece of crap.

Now that I'm at the IT Department, when my Director creates a horrifically boring slide show with PP, he now routinely sends it to me to import into Keynote, where I add a few touches, get in some 3D transitions, and always elicit gasps and rapt attention from intended audiences.

Keynote SO rocks. :cool:

16. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Is the world getting dumb?

Sounds like the world has already arrived.

[​IMG]

17. macrumors 601

stoid

I always knew that Microsoft was the cause of all evil in the world! They have caused the average American to accept a supremely ****ty technology life as OK, and commonplace. Society should not be willing to understand technology that doesn't work. If ANY other product you purchased was as unreliable as your computer, you'd get rid of it. Why is this? Microsoft has passed **** off at the Gold Standard of computing.

18. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um, not to burst your bubbles, but the criticisms of PowerPoint are the same for all slideshow presentation programs, and as such, applies to Keynote as well. I like Keynote because it doesn't look like Powerpoint, which everybody knows, but the criticisms are of bullet-style presentations in general, where Keynote is guilty as well.

19. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Exactly!! I don't like that people just accept stuff that doesn't work because it's what they think it's supposed to be like. I think more people are afraid of technology just because they already know it causes so many headaches and problems. :mad:

20. macrumors 6502

it was jutafter getting my lisence that i realized how stupid people really are. i can't believe i walked for all those years and never got hit after seeing the ways some people drive

21. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe! :D

Seriously, PP does have some wonderful features. Unfortunately, many folks abuse their use and forget the purpose of the presentation. There is nothing worse than having to sit through a presentation with all kinds of gimmics or nonapplicable annimations. It seems these days, many folks forget the purpose of the presentation and focus on extranious material.

Sushi

22. Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true!

Sushi

23. macrumors 68030

homerjward

i believe the word is dumber :p

24. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Take on the song "Hot! Hot! Hot!"

Stupid people, all around me...
    STUPID STUPID STUPID!

YEA!

Try talking to the lady who is on some 24-hour vigil at Laffeyte Park, at the front of the White House. She is scary, and crazy. I took a picture. She has become something of a tourist attraction (been there since '81, methinks). She is stupid...makes everyone mad, because she belives in (or does she?) in so many things...gah!

25. macrumors G4