Is the world moving slower or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Aug 3, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I mean really...

Today, this whole past week, every day could be exchanged for the next...

The world, the events, all seem much slower...

Anyone else?

Or has life been zooming by the rest of you?

2. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Yeah, man, the summer's been slow. I'm all stressed about school, and it's only August 4.

This week I think it's because I've been away from work for a while, and largely anti-social, so I haven't a major event to tie to a certain day. That tends to get me "lost in time" if you know what I mean.

3. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

It's been a very long weekend since I've been avoiding work (I have to do 2/3s of French II by August 28th, create a Student Parliament for the school, finish a few webpage tools for my software package, read my Java 2 book, fix a few computers, and finally get some rest).

Damn I need some sleep, but I just can't afford it right now. And no, I'm not going to take away my short breaks of surfing the internet, etc. because I'd probably start freaking out from stress (it isn't even the school year yet and I'm already less tan and more stressed out than I was last school year).

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Humans have no innate sense of what we call time. Our sense of time is determined by the rate of a chemical reaction inside our brain. It is very probable that chemical or hormonal changes in the brain can alter ones sense of time. Take for example when someone is in a car accident and time seems to slow, it is very likely that the rapid release of adrenaline meddles with the sense of time.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

even though this month has been one of the busier months for me in my landscaping and computer businesses, i think world events are slower as it relates to the usa and california

we just came off of 9-11, a war in afganistan, and a war in iraq

events after that like saddam sons getting killed, our continued presence in post war iraq, bob hope dying, the california recall election of a mediocre governor against mediocre challengers, or any other thing since the end of the iraq war has seemed rather tame by comparison

and i consider much of what happened between the end of the first gulf war and 9-11 a more innocent time in america

and the time between the end of vietnam up to the first gulf war as the most innocent i have seen in my life

of course, i was born and raised in the height of chaos worse than 9-11...starting with kennedy getting killed, the hippies, vietnam, revolution in style and music, the cold war, watergate, and the whole change in the social mores in america

i wasn't around in that truly innocent time people refer to as the 50s

:p

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Everything is moving pretty normally for me.

School starts on the 19th though so I only have 15 days of freedom :(.

But I'm looking forward to school at the same time.

scem0

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Avoid the boredom and find something creative to do. Take advantage of the time you have now to pursue things you really enjoy because soon you won't have that luxury.

For me things have been going to fast and I'm not getting enough done....

D

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

On second look at this thread, I think it is just you.

The world has moved at relatively the same speed for millions and millions of years. ;)

scem0

9. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Time

This might be off topic, but I heard that people actually do have an innate sense of time. I heard about a study where people were locked up in a room with neutral lighting. After an extended period of time, they fell into a regular 25-hour cycle.

As for me, I've just been relaxing and trying to enjoy my vacation. But I've been in moods where it seems like the days just sort of flow together; where the same things happen day in, day out. When I get I those moods, I feel like either buying a new "toy" or starting an online course.

I don't know why.

Squire

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe that is the earliest school opening that I've heard. Do you get additional vacation time? You are lucky that you look forward to school. I hope that your school has air conditoning.

For me time continues at a fast pace. Need to enjoy each and every moment.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

The days go slow while I'm living them, but when I look back, it seems like the summer's gone by in the blink of an eye. I can't believe it's August already, and that the crickets are even now beginning to signal the end of summer. Maybe time speeds up as it recedes? ;)

I'm looking forward to winter. I wants me some snow.

12. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

It feels to me that we should be later than August 4th...I had a lot of business travel in June and early July. I guess I feel that summer should be over, when in fact I just packed a lot into a short time.

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Time

That is more because their bodies wear down over the course of the day and their bodies tell the brain that it needs to go into a sleep cycle.
    That isn't to say that their perception of time was that the days flew by or that it seemed like an eternity.

Of course this is all assuming that time is linear or that it exists at all but that would be better suited for another thread.

14. homeshire macrumors regular

amen.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

16. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think this summer seemed to go by pretty fast actually. I will be starting school in a couple weeks, too. I am kind of looking forward to it, actually.

I think up east school usually gets out around the end of June, and then starts in September. (Is this correct MrMacMan?) But, in other parts of the country school gets out at the beginning of June and we go back mid-August. :)

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

well, this is the first day of a 3 week leave block for me, I'm kicking back and doing very little, spent the day scanning slides for my mum, while reading the new William Gibson novel, in between playing with my daughter in the pool in the garden:D

We're heading for France at the weekend for a fortnight, nothing to do but eat, drink, swim, sleep etc.

So, time is moving very, very slowly here, and I'm loving every loooong minute of it.

18. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Gah, I should have been specific, I know that time changes very rarely like in instances of a black whole... ect..

I remember he was out wwaaayy before I was, when everyone was talking about 'hows your vacation' I was still in school.

:mad:

I think i get back around labour day (ahh, I'm not british!) Labor Day, LABOR DAY.

I think classes 'ended' around the 13th of June, but then I had a week of Test (regency and Finals...)

So I think I have a couple more weeks... but I don't want to jynx myself if classes start tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I really have nothing to do on my non-work days, and I really hate the days I work, all day no human interaction and sooo boring to do data entry... :(

I guess that is why its moving slow, and I guess I'm one of the few people who thinks so.

19. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I see some people have brought up the 25 hour circadian cycle that humans will adjust to when placed in unnaturally lit conditions for long periods of time. The human circadian rythym is regulated by a number of things, including cyclical hormone and protein build-up and release (actually all mammals use 3 different proteins that are nearly identical across all the mammilian species), the regulation of these protein expressions is mosly controlled by blue light receptors in the body.

Heres the interesting part though: While those blue light receptors are located in your eyes (sounds obvious, right?) they are also located in other places on your body, including the backs of your knees. These receptors only need to be exposed to blue light for short periods of time, and it doesn't need to be of very high intensity --if you would be able to just make out such a light source in a dark room with your eyes, it would be sufficient to reset the cycle. Got a roommate you don't like? Stick a blue lens on flashlight, and shine it on the backs of their legs while they're sleeping for a couple seconds. They'll wake up in the morning irritable, unrested, and VERY confused. See, molecular Bio CAN be fun! ;)

20. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

So where can we get this 'blue light'?

;)

I wish to test this theory on myself. :p

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That blue light thing sounds sweet. I'm going to try that. All you really need is blue transparent paper, some tape, a flashlight, and a little brother. No problem. :cool: