Is the Xbox 360 worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by achie25, Feb 4, 2006.

1. achie25 macrumors 6502

Ok I can get an xbox 360 premium bundle pack tomorrow at a local store. They have a whole pallet in store.

I have briefly seen it at a friend's house and it looks pretty sweet. I am PS2 fan and can't wait for the PS3 but it will easily be a year before I will be able to get my hands on one. I really want a PS3 so I guess what I need is help from all of you to talk me out of running to the store tomorrow and dropping some $$$.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i have a xbox360 and i am very pleased with it ,if your into online gaming and have a fast conection it is great.

get a HD TV with it too you will not be dissapointed :)

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

As the person above me said, if you play a lot of online games and have an HD tv, it is well worth it. Some of the initial games are amazing, I have CoD2 and Need for Speed and they are both great. Fight Night Round 3 comes out in a couple weeks and is going to be a huge hit.

Go check out the line-up that is out and see if any of the games interest you. I mostly enjoy first-person shooters and racing games, so the XBox fits my style.

4. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a Sony Grand Wega 55in HDTV and cable internet so it would be fun. I just think that my wife get upset if I have a PS2 an XBOX 360 and hopefully a PS3 sometime next year. But hey I wear the pants right!???

Does anyone know what the bundle goes for at Costco?

5. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Digg just did a story on how Sony STILL has not made mention of a working PS3 - Alex & Kevin have sources that it won't be released until Thanksgiving of 2007. Apparently this could drop Sony out of the entire console gaming league...I'm a huge FF fan (so obviously a PS2 fan) but I am surprised and extremely dissapointed it's taking sony so freaking long to release even a WORKING PROTOTYPE of the thing.

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I kind of got sucked into the whole xbox 360 craze..and finally bought one. I would play ps2 alot (mostly sporting games)..and when i got the xbox 360 at home on the day i bought it...i was like dam i just spent $420 and am i really going to play this thing....the answer has been HELL YEAAA....i love my xbox 360..and i play it atleast once a day, when i would only play ps2 like twice a week....i love my xbox 360 and the games are only going to get better....

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Well, to be fair... Neither has Nintendo...

8. tk26 macrumors newbie

hey guys first person shooter is when you can see the gun right like Halo2? What FPS are there for the 360 and which racing game do you perfer Project Gotham or NFS : Most Wanted

9. AtlJohn1980 macrumors newbie

Wait for the PS3, great article about the chip (Cell chip) by IBM that will be used in it. BLOWS away the 360. The XBox 360 has 165 Million Transistors and can do 77 Gigaflops, the PS3 will have 234 Transistors and perform at 230Gigaflops (From Forbes Jan 30, 06). The new processor that will be used is SO powerful they will be able to make a 3D CT scan of a spine in 4 seconds vs 5 minutes with an Intel Pentium chip. This new chip is "at least 10 times as fast as Intel's most powerful Pentium"
    The 360 has three Power cores, the PS3 has a single main core linked to EIGHT tiny but very powerful cores called synergistic processing engines. This system gives you a 50X increase over the old system, AND it will perform 2 trillion calculations a second which is equivalent to the old supercomputers of the 1990's.

Now if that doesn't make you wait till the PS3 comes out i don't know what will. :)

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hate to bust your bubble, but remember the Missile guiding super console, called the PS2? With is awesome "emotion" engine?

The cell chip sucks at general computing, and is "50 times faster" only at specialized tasks. Same with the 360.

No doubt it will be powerful, but a lot of this is Sony's proprietary RDF at full power with a dash of DRM.

I wouldn't get my hopes too high...

11. Dr. J macrumors member

very worth it. The games are not to good yet, but on the 1st of March Advanced Warfare will be released.

12. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I love mine, I have always been a PS2 fanboy, but I went out and got this console, and I have not been dissappointed with it at all. I will still get a PS3 when the finally come out, but I am not sorry I got this at all. It is awesome.:)

13. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

360 has bad games. Also, it's unimpressive compared to what the future is advertising...

i'd wait

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, admittedly, I only have two games...Call of Duty 2 and NBA Live 06, but neither one of them are bad.:rolleyes:

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

IF WE MIGHT STEP BACK IN TIME

Sony said pretty much the same thing about the PS2, that it would blow away the Dreamcast and look what happened then.

Term, "pinch of salt springs" to mind.

And the words "When Halo 3 is realeased" also jump foreword.

16. AtlJohn1980 macrumors newbie

Taking a step back in time

This was not Sony saying it would do this, it was IBM who said it would do this. Read the Article, don't just make assumptions. There is also an interesting article in there about Apple's Stock. Its January 30,2006 for those of you who do wish to read the article.

17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Emotion engine.

Wasn't really that emotinal was it?

The PS3 does look cool, but please don't believe evrything that Sony PR prints.

They have studied the art of PR at the same school as Apple, its just that people don't see their "Reality Field" as easy as Steve's.

18. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

It is too expensive of a distraction for me. The only game I would play on it is Halo 3 anyways.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

where does this "no good games" myth come from, cod2 PDz are both fine fps games, kameo is quite a nice platform game, the only game which sucks is king kong which sucks equally as much on every other console compared to say the ps2 launch line up the 360 owns.

it makes me puke in my mouth everytime i hear a sony fanboy talk specs.....

20. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i have to agree with other people on this. you can't judge a system until it's already come out with games. everything else is just idle speculation. sony said the same thing about their ps2 and emotion engine. there were even rumors that iraq was intercepting shipments of ps2s so that they could take the cpus and build supercomputers. really, it was all a bunch of rubbish. no doubt cell will be powerful, but the problem is writing software that can take advantage of essentially 9 cpus. well, good luck with that.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's more like a 3.2GHz out of order crummy G4 with 7 really wide altivec units. (one is disabled)

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is it worth it?

To some Yes. To other No. Such a subjective, emotive question that at the end of the day, the only person who can answer that is yourself.

Can you afford it? Do you want it? Why are you suffering from insecurity and feelings of doubt?
    If the Ps3 turns out to be great, can't you buy one of them too? Why does it have to be one or the other?
    Is your life going to change if you a) buy one? b) don't buy one?

Life is full of questions & decisions and no matter what any of us say, it's you who has to decide....

If making such a trivial decision troubles you so much, maybe take the $400 and put it to a course of therapy / confidence building...

23. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I got my 360 at Costco for 489 with PGR3 play and charge and an extra wireless controller. It's hooked up to my 2405fpw and 5.1 System. WOW! Halo 2(which I also bought) looks like a 360 game and PGR3 shines. I also downloaded Fight Night 3, Quake 4, and Condemmed. They all look amazing. I hate Sony.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed, but I think the term 'Delusional' is more appropriate to those who think the ps3 is going to be any more powerful in real terms to the 360.

It's amazing how many 'fan-boys' are so quick to spout out gigaflops and terra-bytes and other marketing 'buzz words' but have no understanding of the power & limitations of the machine.

A relative of mine is working for a uk software team on a next gen. title 'POSSESSION' and if truth be told, both machines are about the same. Though the ps3 is meant to be a little more irksome to program for. They don't have proper finished development kits yet, so the chance of seeing the ps3 anytime soon is still just a pipe dream.

25. AtlJohn1980 macrumors newbie

Omg !!!!

:mad: Have ANY of you on here flaming this out actually READ what was written. Did any of you who are saying its going ot be crap actually READ the article. Did any of you SEEEEEE where it was NOT SONY that has said this. I dont' even play games...I could care less, 360, Xbox, Nintendo, hell atari....who cares....READ THE ARTICLE..........PLEASE !!!!!!!!! IT ISN'T BY SONY, and to answer another thing, according to Jeremy Gordon, the Cheif executive of Secret Level a gammaker in San Francisco said, that making games for this system will be much easier than it was for the PS2. If you had READ the article before commenting on it you would have seen that and answers to every other retort you have so far given. :mad: