is there a backup software that backs up my files to a server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krestfallen, Jan 24, 2007.

1. krestfallen macrumors member

Oct 27, 2005
    hi macrumors...

i know about the expensive dotmac and other online-backup-services with their own space and automatic local backup solutions.

is it possible to combine all of them?

the situation is as follows:
    i built my own webserver. is there any backup software that backs up my files to a ftp-server or something periodically? let' say every day at 6pm.
    i don't need webspace or other service, just the software that uploads my files to a choosen server.

any ideas?
  2. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    SuperDuper! will do scheduled backups. I don't know if it will backup over a network as I don't have a server. Download the free copy and see. You will have to spend the $30 to get the advanced features (well worth it) buy you should be able to tell if it sees your server from the trial.

Daily downloads are good protection against disasters but they often don't protect you from mistakes. Generally, by the time you notice that an important file is missing, or that you saved the wrong version, you have backed it up.
  4. leemason macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2007
    We provide an online backup service but you obviously say that you know about that sort of thing. If you want to do backups from your machine to a server somewhere then you could try using rsync. It's used by a lot of Linux users but there is no reason why it wouldn't work on OSX. This can sync your files across a network.
    If you are doing it across the Internet best to use SSH rather than FTP because it's more secure.
  5. cbrain macrumors 65816

Dec 9, 2006
    North-East, UK
    Intego Personal Backup X4 should do it! It is an excelent piece of software! It's around 49.99 GBP
  6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    How about Chronosync? It can synchronize and/or backup unintrusively, locally. Dunno about web server, though... have to check it.
    About 30 bucks.