is there a better way to Repair Permissions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by proverbs, May 9, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

the thread I read gave the Command(the Apple key)+Option(the Alt key)+P+R, but also gave the "Applications > Utilities", and open up "Disk Utility".

is there one that works better? (I'm about to install Tiger)

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The first is zapping PRAM. The second is the way to repair permissions. I'm sure there is a way to do it in Terminal, but someone more knowledgeable could help you there.

3. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A gamut of terminal ways to do useful things (including, hehe, what was asked for eventually):

sudo PERIODIC DAILY
    sudo PERIODIC WEEKLY
    sudo PERIODIC MONTHLY

execute the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks. In case you want to for some reason. I think it's good to do this in a cycle before doing the other stuff, but it isn't very critical, and it gets done plenty often manually.

sudo diskutil information disk0
    sudo diskutil information disk0s9

These two commands will give you info on the boot drive, including whether it's SMART verified.

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

This one will repair permissions.

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force -debug

This one will update prebindings.

sudo softwareupdate -i -a

This one will install all available software updates.

sudo shutdown -h now

Finally, this one will shut the computer down.

5. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

SWEET!
    although i have no clue on how to do this, i will keep this for future reference.
    thanks.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The terminal is in the utilities folder inside applications. You just run it and type this stuff in. Anything that starts with "sudo" will prompt you for a password. But if you aren't terminal comfortable, stick with Disk Utility at the moment. Disk Utility is a front-end for the same diskutil command -- they execute the same code. A sort of safe rule for the terminal is that until you know what you're doing, it's rather better to avoid doing any command that needs to have "sudo" at the beginning. :D However, for any of these commands, they are totally safe, although you should not run any other programs while you are doing them.

7. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Why don't you just use Cocktail and with one click you have yr permissions repaired and yr cron jobs all done not to mention some cleaning out of various caches...

- Dal

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Or the easy (less typy :)) way..

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

(Or any combonation thereof)

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

sudo shutdown -r now will reboot and not just shut down the machine...

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, sorry. Good add! I copied these out of my script, and when I run it, it's the rare times I reboot this thing, and I usually run it late at night on a weekend before sleeping, and then just let it shut down.

Just to add, if anyone (other than Yellow and Mitthrawnnuruodo and edesign, who already know all this :eek: ) wants options on any of these, type in man followed by the word directly after sudo. So:

man shutdown

will give you the options on the shutdown command. :)