Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Hi,
I'm looking for a ~500gb ssd for my 2012 macbook air 13", but I rather compromise on lower speeds than pay OWC's price.

Is there a cheaper alternative?

And if there isn't, is there any external storage that designed to mount on macbook air? using external hdd is really annoying when I'm using the laptop in the living room (on the couch\on the lap my ext hdd is near death like 10 times an hour).

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
Sometimes OEM drives are available for a little cheaper on eBay. Do you want all of your storage to be portable? You could always get an external and hook up to a wireless router so it's not physically connected but you can retrieve the files when you need them and then take them on the go if necessary. More information on your budget/how it will be used would help with making suggestions.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Also keep in mind that 500GB of SSD in a 2.5" size is $400-500. OWC is packing it in even tighter with much more expensive chips in a somewhat custom board and is asking $680. Its really not much of a premium. And don't ask me why but similar chips on ebay are $1000.

I seriously doubt you will beat OWC in price on such a high end product. 128GB chips, sure, another story.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
RunCore released a Macbook Air compatible SSD but I don't know much else about it. What sizes, where to buy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.