Is there a clearcut winner yet in the BT MOUSE race

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, Nov 2, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

I know this discussion has been going for awhile but most of threads seem to go back and forth. Now that people have more experience with the bluetooth mice is there a clearcut winner?

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have an Apple Bluetooth mouse, and it works great for me, 'cept for some minor "disconnection" issues, but those are resolved quickly

3. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I just don't think there is a clear winner yet. Each one seems to have its pros and cons.

Kimo

4. t0xic_sh0ck macrumors newbie

If i switch to a bluetooth enabled iBook, should I go with the Apple Bluetooth Mouse? I'm a Windows user currently, and I don't know if i can do without the rightclicking... But i suppose I could just hold down CTRL whenever I want to right-click on my iBook. Do i really need to right click a lot anyways?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

some people will tell you that right clicking is important, others will say that control-clicking is just as easy, but in the end its up to you

i would wait until you got your iBook, play around with the trackpad and single click button on there to see if you feel the need for a right click mouse and go from there

6. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I have been setting up my mom's G4, and I decided to let her use the apple mouse. I don't have a problem with the control-click function. What I did miss with the apple mouse is a scroll wheel.

Kimo

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'd second this. A mouse without a scroll wheel really bugs me anymore - no matter what platform I'm on.

8. t0xic_sh0ck macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't Apple just include a right-mouse button and a scroll wheel on their Bluetooth mouse? You're paying $70 for it anyways, you'd think it would have the essentials. Granted, it might not look as sleek, but come on people!

9. kbonnel macrumors 6502

uh oh, lets not start this conversation again :)

Kimo

10. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

I have an Apple Bluetooth and I love it. It wakes up my powerbook absolutely instantly. It works just as well and exactly like a wired mouse. I don't miss the right click, but no scroll wheel is a BIT of an issue. It really only matters if you have a small mousing space (because it moves quite a bit to scroll down a page unless you pick it up). It really isn't bad. It is worth it to have Apple quality and not the questionable workmanship of others, plus of course Apple style and support. It is pretty good on batteries as well.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The problem is that they all offer okay performance, but none offer great performance. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for a mouse, it better be great, or comparable to regular RF wireless. Right now, there are decent BT mice, but the most distinguishing factors I see are the number of buttons, size, and the presence of an ON/OFF switch. That on/off switch is the biggest deal for me. But overall differences aren't THAT big.

I'd get the The Mouse BT if I had to get one.

12. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

What is the best option with two buttons and a scroll wheel? Logitech, Macmice or other.

13. cube macrumors G4

14. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Here are my experineces:

Microsoft BT mouse: Very big, and heavy. I don't like that. It seemed to have problems (for me) on keeping up with my movements. For some reason it just didn't move the mouse as fast as I wanted. I tried modifing the speed, but that didn't fix the issue.

Logitech: Exact same as the Microsoft BT mouse.

BT500: This is the first BT mouse that I have used that seems perfect. Other than being a tiny mouse :). It goes through batteries like you would not believe. It seems to have almost perfect responce time, and wakes up from sleep very fast. I like everything about, but the size.

MacMouse: I am currently using this, and giving my BT500 a break. I like the size. I don't seem to have any problems with the buttons (i.e., pushing both when I just wanted to push one). I really like the scroll wheel. it does not have any clicking too it, just a smooth scrool. It, for me, takes a little work to wake up. For me it will not wake up by moving the mouse around. I have to click on one of the buttons to wake it up, and then move the mouse around. I don't know about battery live, but it is supposed to be good. I had a tracking issue, but I realized it was due to my mouse pad. replaced that, and it has been working fine since.

Kimo

15. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

NO. there is no CLEAR winner. i would say that The Mouse BT by macmice.com is the best so far. it takes the cool looks of the apple mouse, gives it the second button and click wheel that everyone wants and includes an on/off switch! sounds like it has everything! but, i think (and have heard other people mention) that the 'shell' of it feels kinda cheap. and i (as well as others) have had problems with both buttons clicking at once. i have mostly gotten used to it. but i personally think it is dumb i had to re-learn how to properly click a mouse button :-/ as for quality i would say the connection is always great and i get a decent range out of it. i have even played games with it and not had any trouble, so i dont really know what everyones complaints are there.