Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joepenora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Hi everyone, first time poster, so if this is already covered, please forgive me and send me the link! :)

I spent the past several months ripping my DVDs and I'm only half way through them. And oddly enough not all will play on my 1st Gen Apple TV. I ripped 408 of my DVDs, for some reason only 401 will show up in iTunes. But some movies will play on iTunes but wont play on Apple TV.

(If I try to sync that specific file it will say can't play on this Apple TV which is werid, or if I just plan to stream it, it won't come up as a selection).

Does anyone know of an MP4 Converter that I can just drag the movies I've already ripped into and just let it convert all the movies into MP4 over night (more likely over several days)?

I just bought a copy of Leawo DVD to Apple Converter which i think should be fine from now on, but the movies I already did...I need some help! :)

Thanks and I appericate any and all suggestions.

joepenora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
I was using DVD Shrink then AVS Video Converter 6.4.

I havent tried Handbrake, I'm guessing my newbee self should try that? haha

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Fastest thing vie used is Elgatos Tubo.264 HD.....blindingly fast, but only reliable if working with original DVDs. Throw an avi at it and results start to go flakey...sync issues with voice and image.

I use it for all my DVD ripping, using RipIT to get past the protection.

Were talking up to around 140fps processing, and a price tag to match though.
I bought mine for like $300 AUS, and if it didn't have the flakiness it would be a bloody dream at what it does. Now it jumps from dream item to nightmare.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I never buy software, ever. But Anesoft Video Converter is the best $24.95 I ever spent. Simple, easy, intuitive. Converts any video source to a variety of file types including MP4 720p or MP4 in lower rez for smaller screens (iPad, iPod, iPhone).

There's an online demo of it here:

http://www.aneesoft.com/win-ipad-video-converter.html

Try it, you'll see.

BJ

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Fastest thing vie used is Elgatos Tubo.264 HD.....blindingly fast, but only reliable if working with original DVDs...
However, if you already have a fast Core i5 or i7 system or a multi-processor Intel Mac Pro then the Turbo.264 won't make that much of a difference (or none at all with a Mac Pro). The Turbo.264 is faster than a Core 2 Duo, but when you combine Handbrake with the latest multi-threaded/multi-core chips you'll see that the Turbo264 is starting to look a little dated. It is, however, still a reasonable option if you have an older system.

joepenora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
I tried using handbrake on my Win7 machine and i pressed start, a command window opens then win7 says there was an error and closes the comand window.

(i'm using my PC because my mac is a lot slower than my pc)

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
However, if you already have a fast Core i5 or i7 system or a multi-processor Intel Mac Pro then the Turbo.264 won't make that much of a difference (or none at all with a Mac Pro). The Turbo.264 is faster than a Core 2 Duo, but when you combine Handbrake with the latest multi-threaded/multi-core chips you'll see that the Turbo264 is starting to look a little dated. It is, however, still a reasonable option if you have an older system.

:D I love that you've given me yet another reason to upgrade my white iMac!
I've been looking at the i7 for a while now, you may have just sealed it for me.
That is, I hope you were talking about the HD version??

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
:D I love that you've given me yet another reason to upgrade my white iMac!
I've been looking at the i7 for a while now, you may have just sealed it for me.
That is, I hope you were talking about the HD version??
Well, here is a rough guide from the MacWorld review on the Turbo.264 HD done in Apr. 2009:
Converting Yellow Submarine to Apple TV format took 37 minutes with the Turbo.H264 HD plugged into the Mac mini.

To see how much time I saved, I then grabbed this same Video_TS folder and ran it through HandBrake. It took more than three hours to convert the file.
However, they also said this:
I can rip the main feature of a commercial DVD with HandBrake in about an hour with my Dual-Core Mac Pro and its two 2.66GHz processors, the Mac mini takes three to four times as long using HandBrake.
Thus, you can see that the Turbo.264 HD is only somewhat faster than the original dual-processor Mac Pro. Quick math check, if the Mac Pro in this review is four times faster than the Mac mini and the Mac mini took more than three hours to process the DVD then 180min/4 gives 45 minutes. This might be a little optimistic, since the review said the Mac Pro was "three to four times" as fast as the Mac mini and the mini took "over" three hours to process the file. In any case, the Turbo.264 HD took 37 minutes which appears faster than the Mac Pro but the latest Core i7 and the newest version of Handbrake should be even faster than the Mac Pro used in this review (at least when running Handbrake, don't know about iMovie and QuickTime which aren't very well optimized for multi-core/multi-thread processors).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have a turbo.264 on a octo 2.8 12gb macpro.

The benefits of turbo.264 are not just the improved speed which is still noticeable on a fast macpro, but the fact that the end result is in my experience better quality than a software solution alone.

I use mine to convert my TV Shows and DVD's to AppleTV & iPad formats.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I have a turbo.264 on a octo 2.8 12gb macpro.

The benefits of turbo.264 are not just the improved speed which is still noticeable on a fast macpro, but the fact that the end result is in my experience better quality than a software solution alone.

I use mine to convert my TV Shows and DVD's to AppleTV & iPad formats.
On your Mac Pro, are you using Handbrake or QuickTime/iTunes/iMovie? If the latter that could be the reason for the apparent speed of the Turbo 264. QuickTime is not very well optimized for multi-core tasks and any application that uses Apple's QuickTime H.264 encoder will run fairly slowly. In fact, I think they may use only two threads at most when compressing video.

In any case, if you're using the latest release of Handbrake could you perform a quick test to see how much faster the Tubro 264 runs compared to Handbrake? Try using the basic one-pass preset with no resizing or deinterlacing filters (or just the Apple TV Preset).

For example, even on my lowly 2GHz MacBook the latest Handbrake can compress from a VOB to an H.264 movie in near realtime. That is, a 3min 27sec clip will compress in 4min 6sec (no filters, wide-screen standard definition). If you use the detelecine filter (converts 30fps to 24fps) it's even faster, 3min 38sec.

Remonp

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Conversion in handbrake very slow

Hi!

I'm new to this forum so hi guys!:)

I just bought an (1st gen) Apple tv 160gb with crystal HD card ATV-flash... Now most of my 720p films don't work... they don't play sound or they don't play at all (crash).. I think it's a codec issue but its weird because most movies are in .mp4 and avi... I tried to convert them with handbrake but it took 1 night (9 hours!) to convert 1,5 movie!!! What do i do wrong? :confused:

I'm on an macbookpro 17inch 2.33 dual core 2gb memory... (new :apple: quad core 2.0 is on it's way)

Last edited:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
On your Mac Pro, are you using Handbrake or QuickTime/iTunes/iMovie? If the latter that could be the reason for the apparent speed of the Turbo 264. QuickTime is not very well optimized for multi-core tasks and any application that uses Apple's QuickTime H.264 encoder will run fairly slowly. In fact, I think they may use only two threads at most when compressing video.

In any case, if you're using the latest release of Handbrake could you perform a quick test to see how much faster the Tubro 264 runs compared to Handbrake? Try using the basic one-pass preset with no resizing or deinterlacing filters (or just the Apple TV Preset).
Also to be fair, the turbo 264 software uses pretty nerfed down options for its encodes. Speed is largely affected by which advanced options are used. Case in point, in HandBrake do the exact same source twice. Once using the Apple > AppleTV 2 Preset and once using the Apple > Universal Preset. Both will give you fairly comparable video quality however the Universal will encode considerably faster but have a larger final file size. Both the speed of encode as well as the final file size difference are due to the AppleTV 2 preset using more advanced encoding options.

The options used by ElGato's sofware are pretty anemic. On most systems from the past couple years or so if you used the exact same options HB would likely beat the turbo 264 for speed since HB uses x264 for compression and el gato uses quicktime, which as noted is considerably slower. Any comparison needs to be apples to apples ... no pun intended ;)

pgyanke

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Hi everyone, first time poster, so if this is already covered, please forgive me and send me the link! :)

I spent the past several months ripping my DVDs and I'm only half way through them. And oddly enough not all will play on my 1st Gen Apple TV. I ripped 408 of my DVDs, for some reason only 401 will show up in iTunes. But some movies will play on iTunes but wont play on Apple TV.

(If I try to sync that specific file it will say can't play on this Apple TV which is werid, or if I just plan to stream it, it won't come up as a selection).

Does anyone know of an MP4 Converter that I can just drag the movies I've already ripped into and just let it convert all the movies into MP4 over night (more likely over several days)?

I just bought a copy of Leawo DVD to Apple Converter which i think should be fine from now on, but the movies I already did...I need some help! :)

Thanks and I appericate any and all suggestions.

I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as the others on here. I'm just a newbie to the forum. However, I've found that Handbrake (free) does all of my ripping easily and MPEG Streamclip (also free) converts just about anything I can think of. MPEG Streamclip is also a great way to rip audio out of a video (if you want a song but not the girations...).

Just my two cents.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
You brought Leawo DVD to Apple Converter? I also used Leawo DVD to iPod Converter, not the pro version, it's just a free version, but I used it to convert DVD to MP4 video, and it can play well in Apple TV. I don't want to spend too much money on some tools except I need the full functions. About Video Converter, I just need the function of convert video.:D

kimgo

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013

How to Convert AVI to Apple TV?

do you use the correct setting to convert videos to mp4?Sometimes, I get the idea, that I use the wrong settings because my Apple TV stops my movie, and start to buffer again. Sometimes it even stops loading, and it won't show the rest of the movie. I hope you guys understand what I mean...

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
do you use the correct setting to convert videos to mp4?Sometimes, I get the idea, that I use the wrong settings because my Apple TV stops my movie, and start to buffer again. Sometimes it even stops loading, and it won't show the rest of the movie. I hope you guys understand what I mean...

What do you use to covert? What setting(s) do you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.