Is there a good Mac alternative to FruityLoops?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by C-Mezak, Sep 27, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hey guys,

I made the switch from PC a while back beore leaving for university. I haven't had time since then to get back into making music, but now that I do, I really miss Fruity Loops. I rarely used it for actual production, but I loved it for sketching out ideas. Does anybody know of a Mac app that offers such simple and easy programming?

I also gave up my korg triton. Are there any software synths/samplers that can do what the triton's synth system does?

Thanks a lot!
    Charlie

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The only alternative to FL I can suggest is Reason by Propellerheads. Costs a bit but it's very good.

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i thought fruity loops was just like garageband?? :confused:

reality

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't think so, I think that FruityLoops is a bit more advanced than GB. It's just the closest thing to GB Windows-side.

5. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Well I would think that Garageband would be fine, especially if he's just sketching out ideas.

6. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

So did I! :confused:

7. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Fruityloops is really a couple levels above Garageband for certain applications, such as creating synth instruments and tracking techno. I'm also looking for a Mac equivalent that doesn't cost as much as Reason.

... or maybe I just haven't played with Garageband enough.

8. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Garageband is close to fruity loops, with both programs having some functions that the other lacks. If you get to know garageband, it can be a fairly powerful tool. Reason is a good option, but the learing curve may keep you down for a week or too. Check out Ableton Live 4.0 and Logic 6. Both are great programs, but they are worlds apart in what they are made for. Also, keep in mind that live was just updated and logic is expected to be updated soon.

9. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Well what i liked best about fruityloops was the simple step-sequencing interface. I know that you can program like that in most high-end sequencers using a vst instrument and the midi-editor, but fruityloops makes is so easy to program a step-pattern. Most midi-sequencers are a bitch to program with their pencil tools.

The addition of multitrack recording to fruityloops almost makes it perfect for my uses. The only thing Id like added is the ability to change time signatures on the fly (I write mostly ego prog instrumental stuff).

I wish there was a demo of Logic that I could try. It sounds nice, but Im not ready to spend that kind of money on an app that I havent taken for a test run.

Ableton Live is very cool. Ive tried the demo. I might buy it if I find a good deal. It's still not as easy as fruity when it comes to quickly sketching out patterns and song skeletons, and the whole interface between the two display modes is still confusing to me.

I guess Ableton comes out on top. Of course I still need a guitar and a preamp as well as a midi-keyboard before I can really make some noise. A good software sampler would be nice, too, but I'll be doing all of this on the 1.33 revc 12" pb with 756 and the standard 60gb drive, so I might not have the power to do too much in software. This is a dilemma for me because Im away at school in Scotland and cant have a room full of keyboards and guitars so far from my home in CA.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Charlie

10. Unamerikkkan macrumors newbie

yes, check out GARAGEBAND.

REASON is a different sort of program, it might be
    what you want. It's more self-contained/orientated. You need another sequencer that is "ReWire" compatible to make it work with VST/AU standard objects. Some people like it's interface metaphor better. (It simulates a hardware rack actually, including cables at the 'back')

check out MUZSYS (no longer in future development, probably most similar to FruityLoop interface) and
    LIVE, both of which handle MIDI/VST/AU(at least VST definetely) and have different ways to sequence: live recording, looping audio/ MIDI, visual, etc...

also check out www.osxaudio.com
    they're an open community with tons of free/shareware/$
    VST/AU plugins/synths/filters/controls...
    you probably could even find a host/sequencer environment there as well...

also worth mentioning is MAX/MSP, also VST/AU compatible as host&plugin, mostly used in a more experimental/D.I.Y. aesthetic, as it is more 'create your own structure', ala REAKTOR. (although you can of course plug in any of these modules thru GarageBand or whatever) or just use it's step sequencer modules.

cheers!

11. Unamerikkkan macrumors newbie

you could say both MUZSYS and LIVE both
    have step sequencing, although implemented
    slightly differently, esp. coming from FL

they'res actually several VST/AU plugins (forget names)
    to drop a step sequencer into whatever host for whatever
    you need (Note, LFO, etc.)

I mentioned MAX/MSP, but Cycling '74( they write MAX) also sells a bundle ("Pluggo"?) of a ton of plugins created thru MAX/MSP that includes stuff like stepsequencers, synths, etc... that should all be compatible with GarageBand or any other sequencer.

the plugin architecture is really da butter, as you can really accomplish anything you need thru it (need to roll the time frame for an instrument? you got it... plug into LFO...)

12. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Reason has a step sequencing interface which is really easy to use. I've had pretty good luck importing midi drum files and messing with them. There's a downloadable refill for the NN-XT sampler that implements the General Midi drum map (called SC55 Standard Kit.rfl), so that saves a lot of time mapping percussion.

I've used both FL and Reason and personally preferred the Reason interface, but it's definitely down to user preference. FL has a pretty unique look and feel so there will be a learning curve whatever path you choose.

The ability to insert tempo and time signature changes is a much demanded feature in Reason, so maybe it will appear in the next release (which shouldn't be long now as V2.5 has been out for quite a while).

Not sure if the Reason synths can emulate your Korg, but there are plenty of tweakable settings with the native Reason synths. Good luck whatever you do.