Is there a keyboard shortcut for...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taybone, Aug 4, 2006.

1. taybone macrumors member

Is there a keyboard shortcut for switching users?

For example, in Windows, I press 'windows'+L, and it brings up the login page. I am still logged into my account, but I have to enter a password to get in. I really miss this feature on the Mac. I know that I can set the password screen to come up when I come out of sleep mode, but I want to be able to summon this myself.

The reason I ask this is because say, for example, I want to leave my computer for a minute to get a soda, and I want my computer secure, yet I don't want the trouble of logging out and then logging in again when I return, having to reopen everything I was working on. I am looking for a fast shortcut I can type to make this easy.

Does it exist? And if it doesnt, are there any alternatives?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't know if there's a keyboard shortcut, but assuming you have Fast User Switching enabled in your Login Options in the Accounts pane of System Preferences, you can just click on your name/the icon in the menu bar and select "Login Window…". That'll take you right to the login window without logging you out. You don't even have to actually have multiple users set up.

Another alternative is to set screen saver activation as one of your hot corners, then set your Mac to require a password on wake from sleep/screen saver. If you want to quickly secure your Mac, just flick your mouse into the chosen screen corner. If you don't like hot corners, you can open Keychain Access, go to Preferences, and check the box for "Show Status in Menu Bar". You'll get a little lock icon in your menu bar, and one of the options is Lock Screen. All it really does is activate the screen saver, but in this case, regardless of whether you've got it set to require a password on wake from screen saver, a password will be necessary to exit the screen saver (since the screen is locked).

I hope all this makes sense. You may find another alternative that allows a keyboard shortcut, but all three of these methods require at most one click to secure your machine, so unless you really hate the mouse, they're not bad at all.

3. taybone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much, thats exactly what I needed. It isnt a keyboard shortcut, but its definately easy and fast.