Is there a Mac virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joelovesapple, Mar 19, 2007.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

This friend of ours tells me whilst sorting out a problem with our Windows machine that there has been a Mac Virus since January.

Is this true, or just bullcrap?

I for one don't believe this is true. I would know by now if there was. I've heard of the various attempts and false claims already.

I just want to be clear on this, because our 'friend' is very close to parting with this body right now.:mad:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

January was the "Month of Apple Bugs," and during that time, they did find a few exploits, but none of which were "viruses."

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Apple viruses don't exist. It's a secret conspiracy from Norton to sell us that junky antivirus program.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

There are no viruses for Macs, I think there might be a couple Trojan Horses that people confuse with Viruses though. A Virus can spread without the user doing anything, it just propagates on its own. While with a Trojan Horse, the user has to have adminstrative privileges and put their account name and password in for it to run. Two completely different things. So no, there are no viruses for Macs.

5. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

The points raised here are exactly what I thought, but just couldn't place them in my mind at the right time:rolleyes: .

Thanks very much for clearing that up. What about denial-of-service attacks? And what issues did the X.4.9 update fix? Did they fix any of the vulnerabilities in January?

Also, apologies for coming across a stupid zealotous git.:eek:

6. Manfred macrumors newbie

Finally I am going to get an imac. I hope I can wait until Santa Rosa & Leopard get here, but my old 1999 Dell is on its last legs.

One major problem I have is that I have a huge archive of WordPerfect stuff. I love WordPerfect and I hate Word. Unless I am going to give up a bunch of good stuff that I have, I think I am going to have to go with Parallels or Boot Camp. I think that means that I am going to have to run Norton or something like it. I don't want to do that, but I don't want a buggy machine either.

In addition, do you guys run any antivirus, antiTrogan, antipopup, etc. stuff and if so, what do you run?

I welcome any suggestions that any of you have.

Thanks.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Welcome to Mac. First bit of help, when you have a question such as this, do a forum search first to see if someone has already posted the info you need.

If you can't find anything, then start a new thread with your question as the title. Just adding your question to the end of an unrelated thread will make it harder for people to help you.

As for your Wordperfect question, I have no idea, but I'm sure someone here can help you.

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

No anti trojan or anti popup software running here. Safari does a good enough job of blocking popups for me. And even those that do come through, are only mild nuisances. No risk of downloading spyware or viruses, which I think is the bigger risk of popups for most people.

Corel WordPerfect for Mac version 3.5 is freely available, but is very old and runs in Classic mode -- I don't think modern Macs can do Classic anymore, so that won't help you much I'm afraid.

9. matttrick macrumors 6502

i use no antivirus/popup software on my pc either and i never have problems.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.macvirus.org/

pretty old and not up to date, but answer is clear, there was OSX virus. but obvious not in large numbers. I actually believe in logic and science, and I don't believe there is any OS that can be virus free, just a matter about if anybody interested in making them based on their calculation of balance of effort/profit.

11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is what i believe too. Mac OSX is not virus protected. It has had one virus that has been isolated before. The reason that there are many on the Windows is that many more people use it and are adept at programming nd creating them for that OS

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

So, you're saying there aren't any Mac OS X viruses (other than that one) because nobody is adept enough to create one? Hmm, I actually am gonna have to agree with you on this! :D

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I could have sworn it was more than one, but nonetheless, I thought that there were several viruses for previous versions of OS X, but they have all been patched by Apple, and their OS is getting more and more secure with every update, making it harder and harder to break the OS.

Patching OS X is easy for Apple, as they already have a solid security base to work on (Unix).

However, it's different for Microsoft. They might as well be patching thin air all the time their OS is called Windows...

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-joelovesapple

At the risk of repeating what others have already said, there are no OS X virii "In the wild" (key phrase). Heck, there have only been a few trojans as well, and they did little damage.

Yes, there are virii for OS X, but they are "in the lab" and like the trojans, only work under very specific circumstances, one being the virus has to be planted on an unmasked local network with the target machine - again, limiting damage and the desire to write said virus.

You have nothing to worry about. But watch the news just in case.

Oh, very nice! :D

15. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Until there's a serious threat that requires third-party (or Apple) intervention, I will simply not worry about such things.

16. djbrickhouse macrumors member

Should I then use my macbook as a user and not administrator?

Like should I have a root account I use to maintain the system and a personal account for me daily use?

[Edit] Actually I just did a search and the common wisdom is that it is ok to use an account with admin priviledges for daily use as it has less authority then the root account (where the real power lies, and which is disabled by default).

17. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you should. Most people don't, and you'll probably be okay if you don't, but it's always a better idea to use an account with less privileges, if possible.

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Taking that same risk, virii isn't a word. ;)

19. bartelby macrumors Core

It's an old variation of Viri. Which in itself is an old alternative to Viruses.

20. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

In the English language, the normal plural of virus is viruses. This form of the plural is correct, and used most frequently, both when referring to a biological virus and when referring to a computer virus. The forms viri and virii are also used as a plural, although less frequently. There is disagreement among users of the Internet over whether these forms should be considered correct. No reputable printed dictionary includes them as correct forms. -Wiki

OS X Dictionary has no entry for it.

It's not a word as far as I'm concerned.

</off-topic>

21. bartelby macrumors Core

Dictionary.com

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Vulnerability patches come out like every few months. That's nothing to get worried about.

Iew no. Waste of system resources at this time.

Correct, it will not run on any current Mac.

Sure...

That was not a virus.

Leap requires user interaction in order to infect a machine, as the user receiving an instant message containing the worm will have to extract the executable from the archive and then run as admin. When run, it appears immediately that it is not a harmless jpeg file but in fact a malicious binary file. It runs in command/shell mode calling a terminal session for it to execute.

You have to type your username and password and run that yourself. A JPEG needing a username and password is quite obviously not a JPEG, and since it cannot run on it's own by any means, it is not a virus. It's a very bad program.

These were all the viruses for the far far less secure Mac OS Classic (1 - 9). They will not work on any current Mac, and aren't found in the wild anymore anyway.

It's actually less. It's zero.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

The IT jerk at my works uses the existence of macvirus.org to prove the existence of viruses for OS X. It's enough for him to categorically state OS X suffer from viruses, trojans etc like Windows.:rolleyes:

24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Then explain to him how none of the OS X things are viruses, and none of the actual viruses listed there will run on OS X.

25. bartelby macrumors Core

Believe me, I've tried.