Is there a Medical Dictionary for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by projectle, Jun 30, 2006.

1. projectle macrumors 6502

I am a college student who has just started into the medical field, and I am wondering if there is a plugin for Dictionary or another application entirely that would allow me to have a Medical Dictionary on my computer?

I do not really need something with definitions, I just need something that can handle my spell checking for my weekly papers that I need to hand in.

I realize that this is probably not the best place to ask, but the people who I asked in my class including my instructor said that I am pretty much out of luck unless I just want to search each one through a website.

What I would love is if there is something that would work with Pages, but I will live with Word if one exists.

Thank you in advance.

2. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I saw those, however I was hoping for something a little on the cheaper side...

On another note, is there a tool for creating custom dictionaries for Dictionary?

I have tried to look for that one and found no results...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is.. At least not for the Dictionary.app.
    And at least not with XCode Tools or on the Apple Developer website.

4. RedMacMan macrumors member

I've just started looking into doing the same thing, except customizing the Dictionary widget to create my own law dictionary. Both the Dictionary.app and Dictionary.widget reference the dictionary file located at

/Library/Dictionaries/New Oxford American Dictionary.dict

That file is a package which contains the following files:

dict_body
    dictionary_1
    Images/
    Info.plist
    ovrd_body
    ovrd_index
    PkgInfo
    version.plist

The dict_body file is an xml fragment, and appears to be all the words in the dictionary. It references a namespace "http://oup.dataformat.com/doc/OUP_DTD_Dictionary.html". The base dataformat.com hostname is a company which provides content management services, and lists Oxford Dictionary as one of their clients, so I am assuming the XML data format is proprietary. The file dictionary_1 is binary, so I'm not sure how that fits into the puzzle.

It's too bad there's not any info about customization out there, because it would be a very handy thing to be able to do.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I bought the Miller-Keane desk encyclopedia, and it came with a CD with Microsoft Word spelling libraries, but..grrr... one, they're on a mini-CD.... :mad: And grrr #2, God knows what they're made for, but it isn't Office 04. :(

6. cuddlestick macrumors newbie