Is there a Pro Tools Free Demo Download?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacDuff, Mar 25, 2003.

1. MacDuff macrumors regular

Hi there,
    Does anyone know if there's a Pro Tools demo download for os X like there used to be for os 9. I remember they released it before and the only limitation was the # of tracks you could use. I hope they're still offering this for poor grad students such as me....

If anyone knows that'd be great.

peace.

bhilldesign.com

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

No PT Free in X.

Dan

edit - I believe there is one in development, though with DigiDesigns track record for moving to X, I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

DigiDesign just finished up with ProTools HD and LE for OS X but I've heard no talk of a ProTools FREE for OS X. With the lowest LE system costing around $300 the Mac OS X version is fairly affordable, although $300 is still alot of money if you don't need all the features of LE.

I've been reading and researching a lot of different setups being that I'm going to purchase some equipment in the next couple of months and I've heard nothing about FREE being ported to OS X.

4. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm, thanks.

Does anyone know of any other multi-track programs that I can get versions of, demo or full by download? I'm desperate.

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I don't know of anything that can help you on this one. There used to be free demos of a few pieces of software, but nothing now, to my knowledge. Sorry.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Dan

6. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to record some of my jazz compositions. I'm a pianist and sax player here in San Fran. I have a variety of jazz styles I'm attempting and I recorded my old stuff on a pc, now I've switched but I'm without the software I had before. Feel free to check out my music gallery of my tunes at bhilldesign.com

I've got the michrophone and other equipment, just no software. i'm sure I'll figure something out.

thanks.

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

look on versiontracker.com

Let me know what you find as I am going to need soemthign soon as well.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

What system costs 300? I thought the cheapest system was the one with the MBox. That runs around $400-$500. Does ProTools LE run with default Mac hardware (ie the sound-in plug on the machine)? I didn't think it did.

Taft

9. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was referring to the mBox, which new is around $400, so I figured you could find one between $300 and $400 used.

Also, check out the Tascam US-224 and US-428. They are both fairly affordable recording setups with Cubase software included. The 224 is $300 new and the 428 is around $500, it sounds like these will accomplish what you're looking for.

10. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

we need demos

the only free osx demo multi tracks as i know are metro and deck 3.5.
    Cubase SL/SX, Logic 5-6.0, Pro Tools 6.0 and LE all will not run unless you have a usb key the second in a usb port this is the second worst protection scheme I know of. If you are working with clients and your key is missing you are totally screwed, and if you contact support for a new one prepare to wait weeks and pay almost full software app price for replacement, they should give you 2 at the beginning as you cant do anything at all with out it and if you use multiple apps you could have as many as 3-4 keys installed at all time. the worst scheme is having to have the cd in the drive when it is running.
    I gather this is just one more reason to stay in os9 a little bit longer.
    I run logic, cubase, deck in 0s9 (lots of vst plugs and os9 only sound card-dspfactory, and audiowerk2(lots of pops and noise in OSX still) and cubase SL in OSX excellant program but I need a stable sound card with no pops or hiss. for midi this is superb or using buillt in audio.
    What OSX soundcards have no pops hiss and are stable seems like everyone even motu are having driver issues and I want to use osx more even though my os9 is very stable and has no pops or clicks.
    Emagic,Steinberg, Motu come on already with a Demo 4-8 track so we can compare $299 upgrade to $799 full is a big price to pay without trying out first.
    Do you own any os9 apps, I had cubase 5.1 so it only cost me $99 to get sl for osx and it works good with built in aoukjdio prok,viding you have a good mixer(everything is mixed down to 16bit anyway. what model mac do you have. why not get one of the os9 demos for now