Is there a problem with the server?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by King Cobra, May 21, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    All 4 of the browsers I have tried have given me the same error. The server is too busy. And I am noticing that the number of members has been moving up and down like a sine wave for the past hour. Originally there were 150 something; I just checked a few minutes ago and the number went to 17.

I could use four letter words to express my feelings, but I am going to ask nicely...what is going on with the server? Is there a problem with it, or, if it isn't, what is the problem?
  2. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    Could just be heavy traffic. The majority of the rumor sites have seen major growth lately. Thinksecret, spymac, this page.. in fact, the only rumor site that doesn't seem to be getting heavy traffic is MOSR :/
  3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    the error you got is the exact problem -- the server is fairly busy....

the server is like this sometimes... usually at the same times when it happens -- afternoons .. i mean it seems like that, arn would of ourse know better...
  4. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I noticed another problem (actually, this was mentioned earlier in Site News/Server Clock), you guessed it, the server clock seems to be off by 50 minutes on my computer.

And just a concern about heavy traffic, once we reach MacWorld New York and the members count, in my estimation, reaches between 600 and 1200, accessing these servers will be like drilling into thick concrete a foot deep.

Arn, or anyone else, do you know what is up?
  5. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    I know what you're saying about MWNY. The problem is none of the rumor sites really make any money.. love them or hate them, they pretty much entertain you for free. They can't afford to be hosted on the same configs as Maccentral. Popularity for a rumor site isn't really a good thing. For example, I like the size/speed of this community as it is NOW. I really don't want to see it grow too much bigger.
  6. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, it seems that I am broadcasting all the big events of the server...Arn just posted in Site News that the server clock is off and he will fix it shortly.

However: If he adjusts the time back to wherever it is supposed to be and we continue posting, wouldn't we have posts in reply to some, for say, in which the time of the post was earlier than the person who asked a question? I am of course assuming that the difference in the two posts is a server clock fix.

Care to explain, Arn? How did this issue derive?
  7. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001

The server, for whatever reason, ate up a lot of RAM today. It started swapping like crazy, which increased the server load. This Bulletin Board system automatically shuts users out (Server is too busy) when the server load exceeds a set amount.

I'm not sure what the memory leak was, as the server was going for the last 2 months without incident or excessive RAM usage.

I had our provider reboot the machine and all is well... except, whenever the server is rebooted... the server clock goes off by about 1 hr. In order to fix this, I need to shut down the forums for an hour... and then change the clock. You are correct in that if I did not... new posts might appear BEFORE older posts.

In general the server does well with the load/bandwidth. On usual days, there isn't much of an issue... usually only with special events...

For example, during the 1st hour of the XServe's introduction, this server pushed 16,000+ pageviews in that hour. Overall, held up well, but occasionally did lock people out of the forums temporarily due to server load. Again, expos and the like are most certainly high-load times.... and that's the only time we see the server buckle. Obviously, if it happens more frequently, I'll have to look into upgrading the server, and/or shutting down parts of the site and go with a low-bandwidth/load version during the event.

All is well...

8. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    That's a shame. Well, as long as your server didn't catch a virus or anything severe, I am glad to hear.

I would recommend finding a way to keep the server from going down when there are more than, let's say, 300 members. Otherwise, when MacWorld New York or San Fransisco (2003) roll around, the server is going to be in living he!!. I would honestly predict that we would see an absolute minimum peak of about 400 to 500 members. How will the server manage with even higher numbers?
  9. mr.w macrumors regular

May 17, 2002
  10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    it's not just something so simple and as someone pointed out, this site is already costing arn rather than making him money. therefore, it's a bit selfish to make such "recommendations", especially given your lack of contribution (ie, demi-god status). it's cool to not contribute financially, heck i haven't (yet). but realize that arn and everyone else realizes that ideally the server could bear a bigger load, but that it's not a free upgrade.

11. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Jan 18, 2002
    when you donate $3000:D
  12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    hey...we tried to offer a fund drive for one...

but arn wants to wait it out...he he he ;)
  13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I think we should, see what happens by MWSF at least, the RAID support will be out by then, but I don't think this site is all that big, but he might have other plans....