Is there a program that would allow a "4 sided letterbox" video effect?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by the_wallcrawler, Mar 13, 2006.

1. the_wallcrawler macrumors regular

This may be a long story so hear me out...

For the past year or so, after every great sports win by my alma mater Michigan State University I make a highlight video for web distribution. My workflow for doing so goes like this:

1. Record straight to DVD from Tivo or live TV using Panasonic ES10 recorder
    2. Extract clips using Cinematize (uncompressed full quality setting, automatic adjustment 640x480)
    3. Import clips into Final Cut Pro and edit
    4. Export full quality Quicktime
    5. Export H.264 for web viewing

Well this work has found the attention of someone in the East Lansing (where MSU is) city council. They would like me to throw together a short little video to be played at bars in East Lansing after the MSU mens basketball tournament games.

I have done a few tests simply taking the uncompressed Final Cut exports and making a DVD in iDVD out of them. The results, while OK, aren't the best. I'm thinking there isn't much I can do there because I'm not working with the best source material. But one thing I did notice though is my fance iDVD created menu looked pretty slick with the video scaled down. The video was crisp and clear.

Is there a way to scale my video down so that it doesn't play full screen? Almost doing a 4-sided letterbox. I'm envisioning the video scaled down, centered on the TV.

2. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just use the Distort option in the viewer (I think it's under the Motion tab, but I don't have FCP handy to check)? Just input new co-ordinate values for the corners, making sure you keep the same aspect ratio, and you're done.

The Void
    Planet Miron - The Trudy Love Boutique

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

In Final Cut xxxx

Click the last tab in the Viewer (labeled Motion)
    Adjust 'Scale' to make it the size you want.

4. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

D'oh! Of course.

Yeah, what Stoid said. My way would work too, but is a very long way around.