Is There a Program to Decrease the Size of My Jpeg's????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Feb 20, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I've read that when savin' Jpeg's in PS it also saves alot of unecessary information (color, header, etc....). So does anyone know of any programs for OSX that clean this up?
  2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    Go to File->Save for Web in photoshop. I think that should take care of it.
  3. fistful macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I found an easy way to do this through iPhoto and Mail. select the picture you'd like to resize in iPhoto, click on "email", it'll give you a few size choices, then it'll open the picture in Mail, just drag the resized picture wherever you want it.
  4. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    or you can just export the picture :-/
  5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Umm I don't want to change the actual size of my images, I want to change how big the file size is so I can post it in my online photo sites and not have them resize cause of the big file size.

And I knew about the "save for the web" option, but that doens't always get it the way I like it. I'm lookin' for a program to erase the unecessary information that PS stores in the image.

Thanks though guys
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Open the images in Preview, export them to jpeg. You can set size and/or quality of the jpeg files under jpeg options (even set a desired target size, that will not be exceeded). Nice'n'eazy ;)

That has to be the simplest way, even if Graphic Converter has some good batch routines (I haven't used GC in a while so I cannot tell you anything more specified :eek:).
  8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
  9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    As far as stripping the stuff that Photoshop adds, see if you can find a program on or that removes the resource fork from a file. That's where all the extra info (like the icon thumbnail) is stored... if you strip that off all you're left with is the data fork - which is the actual jpg image.

If the file sizes are still too big, then you'll need to use something like GraphicConverter to resave the jpg's, with a higher level of compression than what they were saved with before. (of course, if you're compressing a jpg, then the image quality suffers because the image has already been compressed once.... so start from the original image if you can)

If you purchased a Mac within the past couple of years, it probably came with GraphicConverter which is a great program for resizing any format of image.