Is there a program to extract DVD onto mac UNCOMPRESSED??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ltpowda, May 27, 2006.

1. ltpowda macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I really need to get a program that can rip a certain scene from my dvd in an UNCOMPRESSED format. I want to keep all the quality, exactly the same. I have already got Mac The Ripper which does not do this. I also have Handbrake but can only compress to mp4 and compressed avi.

I need your help, i thought it would be easier to find a program but it is not!:mad:

2. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

MTR does do this. it rips the content of the DVD exactly as is, but removes various security stuff. MTR's output is UNCOMPRESSED, as good as the DVD it came from...

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The only way I could think of would be to use MTR to rip the DVD, then use QuickTime Pro (with the MPEG-2 component) to decompress the output.

I am curious as to why you need an uncompressed file in the first place though.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

well what do you mean uncompressed?
    im thinking you do mean something like MTR but MTR does the entire movie. Unless of course you mean you want to split them up into a few elementary streams (m2v, ac3) in which case cinematize works iirc, but the app i used most often to do that was called 0sex or Os3x or something along those lines. Not that intuitive of an app, but it does a lot, and it's got to be one of my favorite dvd ripping apps ever.

Link here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830

5. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

But MTR doesn't have the ability to extract certain scenes.
    Cinematize is the only program I know that can do this, but it will cost a lot.
    http://www.miraizon.com/

6. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

aah, my bad. doesn't dvd2onex allow you to choose specific chapters?

7. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Just to clarify: You will never get uncompressed video off of a DVD, as the video on the DVD is compressed in MPEG2. You can convert the video into a uncompressed format (fyi DV is compressed as well), but there will still be all the flaws in it from the compression into MPEG2.

8. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys.

To be more precise, this is my problem.

First off, the reason I want uncompressed is I want the highest quality possible. Why have something at lower quality when I have it in good quality.

I needed a program besides MTR because I needed a video file like avi or mov but I now realized I don't need this. I want to export the videos into Final Cut Pro and I realized I can just leave it as VOB files, so MTR is my solution :). VOB files are the uncompressed format of DVD, are they not? I should leave it like this, the quality is awesome! I didn't know I could use VOB files. They are so small too WOW, why is this, a 30 second VOB (DVD quality clip) is around 20 meg.

BUT...When I play the vob file, there is no audio now when played in quicktime. So I got the video sorted out, now the audio is pissing me off. When I take the VOB file into FFMpegX (A program which converts into many formats) It says that the VOB file has the audio in it, then why the F**K can't I hear it. So, I extract the audio from that VOB to av3 (is it true this is the audio format of dvd, best quality? It must be), but now, final cut pro does not support av3, what do I do. I exported to mp3 but again I say, why lose quality when I have the original uncompressed quality in the first place.

I don't know the settings for mpg2, mpg4, divx, all that jibberish. Can someone explain the best settings for certain videos. For example, for a audio cd, to create an mp3, the acceptable setting is like 128-192 bitrate, nothing lower. What are the guidlines from videos, like from a dvd to get best quality possible my still concerning the file size. Because most times when I say mp4 or mov file, or avi, it's **** quality and way big compared to it's quality, when I vob file is so much smaller, why is this

I know that, obviously, but i'm considering the DVD video as my starting point, the video I want to replicate, so i'm referring to it as uncompressed, to be more specific, I want my video to stay the SAME quality, no matter what it is. MPEG-2 you say, why can't I get that exact quality as an mpeg-2 file then, why does it only look the same quality in VOB if it is really an mpeg2 file

Cheers guys

9. NadeemF macrumors newbie

No sound

Is it possible that you've extracted the ac3 soundtrack?
    If it plays okay in VLC, and ffmpegx says that there is sound
    Quicktime doesn't ship with AC3 support but there is a free plug-in http://www.mactcp.org.nz/quicktime/

10. domzanghi macrumors member

Someone pointed it out above, but to clarify, the video files on a DVD are compressed (in mpeg2 format). NTSC DVDs (the standard-def DVDs released in the US are NTSC standard) run at a max bitrate of 9.0 Mbps.

If you capture/digitize/encode from the DVD at a higher bitrate, you're only using more harddrive space, and NOT gaining any quality.

An example of this is taking a jpeg (which is a compressed file) at a resolution of 400x300 pixels at 72dpi (which is a generic websized image) and trying to print an 8x10" picture from that file. You can resize it in Photoshop as large as you want, but you gain no quality from it.

11. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that thankyou, If you read the bottom of the post before this, I addressed this, can you maybe answer that question in that post?

It's not working. I installed the radius and qt one. It plays in FCP but not the audio, but I think that's due to it not reading ac3. I don't know but does the vob file play audio too, what's the audio_ts folder then. How do I get this ac3 thing working, I can convert it, maybe I should convert it to another format. What are the best setting to convert a dvd VOB file without losing any or a little bit of quality

12. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    If you haven't already, use FFmpegX to extract the ac3 from the VOB file, and then import that seperately into FCP and it should be able to play it. And the audio_ts folder is for Audio DVDs.

13. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

I have but final cut does not support ac3 format. I can import the VOB file into fcp but the audio doesn't play that's in th VOB

14. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all you responses guys.

So to clear things up

Does FCP recognize ac3?

What settings should I use when converting a vob file into mpg2 and get the same quality as in the vob file?

15. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

16. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll check that out thanks mate

I am still having trouble with getting some content from a vob file (length 30 seconds) back to it's orignal format mpeg2 in the EXACT, and I stress "EXACT" quality!

I have a picture here of my VOB file setting
    [​IMG]

I extract with the exact same settings to get it back to the original quality but it's just a bit off and also is about 3 meg bigger. The only settings I can adjust are the same settings in my VOB file settings except for "chroma format: 4:2:0), whatever that means. Also, there are some settings for the mpeg 2 encoder in an options section that might play a part in this too.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what to do? Is it possible to get the quality exactly back again or not. So really what I want to do, I want to reverse what the dvd authoring program did, so take it to what it was before it was a vob file. I want to use this clip in FCP, what format would you use it as?

I have tried compressor, but that got worst result than this program.

17. domzanghi macrumors member

You should be able to get it close to the exact quality, but depending upon how it was encoded, you may not be able to get it exactly the way it was before encoding it. Did you encode it? What software did you use? What settings did you use? Is the DVD Pal? What was your aspect ratio of the video?

10.08Mbps sounds high... most DVD players aren't able to process that quickly. If you burned the DVD w/ DVDSP (or similar software), I'd suggest using 7.0 Mbps. Chroma information is fine at 4:2:0 if it's Pal... if NTSC, 4:1:1 (if that's an option). If it was originally NTSC, the video should be encoded at the size of 640x480. If the video was NTSC or PAL (DV included), the interlace should be checked. Most likely the audio was encoded at 48.000kHz

18. ltpowda thread starter macrumors newbie

this video is an original dvd movie, I just want to get an extract from it.

I'll try those settings thanks