Is there a programs similar to MS paint on my new pBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skeet, Feb 24, 2005.

1. skeet macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2005
    I just got a new powerbook and I need to do some very basic graphic work. (ie design a campaign sign) I am new to OS-X is there a program on here that I can use to develop basic graphics?
  2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    There should be programs on that do that kind of stuff.

And there's always The Gimp, which is second only to Photoshop yet 100% free and open source.
  3. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    You should have Graphic Converter somewhere in your applications, which is a basic image editor...
  4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    American living in Canada
    I pity this problem

I agree, and to answer from my experience, no. I have always wanted a super basic program where i can click one button and start drawing random shapes with my mouse in whatever color of paint I want. Never have I found a Mac program like Paint. People always say "use Graphic Converter, it comes with your powerbook." They are right that it comes with my powerbook, but it's not the same!! I don't want image editing, I want to DRAW a picture and do NOT want layers or extra buttons. Remember the days of Kid Pix??? THAT's what I want. I hope someone knows of something simple. It's old, but Paint is good. What's sick, is that I open up VPC just for paint sometimes!!!
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    i say we start a 'bring back kid pix' movement. ah....the memories. i used to love that program (from about 8 years ago when i was still in primary school :) ). it had the most awesome little tools and functions (much better than anything MS paint does)!!!

sorry bout that little outburst....i feel very passionate about it....LOL :D
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    *sighs* Kid Pix... the only art app that talks. "oops!" "oh-no!" "vrmrmmrlmeh"

and of course the dynamite stick.

what ever happened to it? who made it?

and yes. i wish there was a super-basic art app that came with OSX. fairplay to gimp but like you said, its second only to photoshop. making it a photo editing package.
  7. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    i just had a bit of a look around on google and "Kid Pix Deluxe 4" is still available, but to schools only :( but i cant find the official kid pix site. i have a feeling it was made by 'the learning company' or something like that.
  8. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    There must be a free drawing prog SOMEWHERE!

I use Appleworks- its got a nice, simple drawing component which is what you want.
  9. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    You know you don't have to use layers in Graphics Converter? I really don't understand how you guys can claim that Graphics Converter is so much more complex than Paint ... jeez :rolleyes:

(Yes, it's sick to open up VPC to draw in Paint)
  10. mim macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    flesh, melbourne.... heart, london
    It's not MS paint (and there's no brush tool), but you might find OmniGraffle useful for simple graphic work. It does great linework/text/arrows/etc. It should come with every new powerbook.
  11. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
    I second geese's nomination for AppleWorks, but unfortunately it's not included with PowerBooks.

The AppleWorks Drawing application will be more than adequate for your basic needs.

...and AppleWorks includes a painting application that will do exactly want you want.

I really think AppleWorks gets an awful lot of bad press - it's an extremely useful little suite of applications, and I use parts of it almost every day.
  12. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree