Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0sync0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I have all my music on a network drive in a folder structure that I want to replicate in iTunes. I've concluded that can only be done by having nested folders within the playlists. The only way to make that work is to create a playlist for every album and drag it to the right folder.

I've put off using iTunes for music because this seems like too much work when I have a system that already works great. But I just bought an iPod and now it looks like I have to use iTunes.

Is there a quick way to create a playlist for every album?

DLH

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Is there a quick way to create a playlist for every album?
Why do you need to?

Try showing the browser (View | Show Browser). With that open, you can click on a Genre, Artist, Album and the songs displayed below will be filtered. Likewise, when you select an Artist in Artist column, the Album column will filter to only albums from that artist.

If you have a specific reason, we may be able to suggest a better way.

In the long run, you'll be much better off understanding the iTunes way of doing things.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Exactly, why would you want to do this, itunes music is shown in Artist Album Genre Columns all perfectly organized. The onlyh thing i could think of is if you burn CDs of ALL your albums frequently...

0sync0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I organize my music in a way that doesn't fit into the itunes way of doing things. I have two top level categories each with sub-categories. This way I can quickly find what I want. I tried itunes and it takes much longer to find what I want.

One of the categories is pretty esoteric and the sub-categories are an important aspect of how it is organized.

Given my situation, getting an ipod was probably not a wise decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.