Is there a reason...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Jan 5, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

That the Fire Station has to check each and every siren on each and every piece of emergency equipment each and every day at 7 a.m.? Why not noon?

I mean OK, I'm up, but that's usually the time of day where I'm easing into my desk, snacking on a Clif Bar or something, and seeing what avian visitors I have at my feeders. My quiet time, if you will.

While I'm bitching, they have been doing construction next door for almost a year now. If I hear "beep beep beep beep" one more time I may kill someone. They've ruined my bird feeder activity. Asshats.

Yes, I should move to the country, but the significant other doesn't like the idea.

My bitch for the day. :D

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst this is only a guess: perhaps they check the sirens on a change of shift and 7am is the change between night and day shifts?

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I used to live behind the police station & fire department. Those morning testers sure can intrude on your quiet time. I used to work 3rd shift at the time and I'd be winding down after a hard day, perhaps sipping some tea or wine, gazing out the window, only to get rudely jarred out of whatever daydream I was having. I feel ya;)

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

As my mother used to say...Life's a Bitter Pill!

;)

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Where I'm from, they check the tornado sirens what seems to be several times a week. Couldn't imagine what would happen if a real tornado paid a visit...

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Still, though...

At least I don't bitch about the Med Evac helicopters that fly into the hospital over our roof. :D

[​IMG]

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Quiet time is just that...and those beep...beep I know how you feel. I don't have a large backyard (40x60), but a nursing-home is on the other side of the fence and so is the dumpster, loading docks and whatnot. Trucks backing up @ 6:00am everyday, all day long and the dumpster gets emptied @ 10:30pm.

The Fire station around here only tests once or twice a month and it's around noon if they do, 7:00am seems odd. Maybe you could call the local politicians office and see if he/she could give a friendly call and ask for a time change.

Construction for almost a year :cool: that place better look very special...and I can only take so much of my neighbor yelling at her kids, can't conceive all that banging and traffic (supplies back and forth).

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

All that green area to the righ of my place in the picture above is now condos. It took them 6 months just to excavate the site. :rolleyes:

I'm ready to move to Monterey, CA. :)

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I've never been to Monterey, so I google mapped it, and it doesn't look any less crowded than your city :confused:

Living in the country is really great. Unfortunately, I have to sometimes do some freelance in NYC, and the commute is a bitch.

I'm still looking for the ideal place to live - maybe the Italian coast in a place like Sorrento. ;)

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Scroll down a little further south towards Carmel. ;)

11. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

ahhhhh, that's better :D

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bliss... I'd love to move to Monterey. It's such a beautiful bit of coastline. I suspect I'd lose days just sitting on a rock staring at the sea. :p

Our office tests the fire alarms every Wednesday at 11am when I'm generally stuck in a small meeting room where the very loud speaker seems to reverberate around my skull and bruise my brain.

13. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Okay, so the other half doesn't like the looks? ;) I can't wait to move away from this area...I just have to stay a bit longer for now but I crave an area like that :D

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps you should hit the "Edit" button before she sees this....

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:confused: I thought iGary's SO was a he?

Psh. Monterey and Carmel are overrated. :p They're starting to be overtaken by larger stores (Tiffanys, Coach outlet, etc.). I love me some Capitola.

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

lol, if you only knew...

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

But he knows he's a bitch, so it's OK. :D

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I like Seaside and Carmel, personally. I could see myself setting up a little photography business there when I have Lotto earnings to be able to afford to buy a one bedroom house for a million dollars.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I was speaking figuratively, of course.
    :)

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

nothing like waking up to the biggest queen every morning...

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

My grandmother used to live next to an airbase (the base moved, not her :p), and once a chinook was coming in so low that one of the cupboards in the garage shook so much it came free of the wall and smashed her rear windscreen :eek:

23. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ahh my some of my family is from sorrento, amazing place, very quiet, but I still say one of the noisiest and hectic cities in the world is napoles or delhi;)

24. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

iGrumpy...:p

25. vniow macrumors G4

Ugh, Capitola's just as bad. The rest of the Santa Cruz area is pretty nice (with the exception of Scotts Valley) if a bit small town-ish.

I loves me some San Francisco (where it looks like I may be moving back to...)

If you want to see some nice coastline, head a bit north and drive up 1 past the Golden Gate. Doesn't go right by the coast however, you'll have to get out and hike a little but its so much cleaner and prettier than anything where there's a lot of people around it.