Is there a region free DVD software for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Jun 29, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I am trying to back up my DVDs but have only one more region transition left! Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 603

swiftaw

DVD Region is hardware encoded, so software won't do the job. You'd need to flash the firmware of your DVD drive.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

How can i do that?

4. macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive heard vlc solves the issue if you play via it. might want to double check first

5. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i agree, i think vlc will play most discs regardless of region.

6. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably won't play it on a hardware restricted drive. You can look at www.rpc1.org. They may have a firmware upgrade for your drive (but I doubt it).

7. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

the point is that vlc ignores the region encoding competely and will play most discs AFAIK. would be surprised to hear that vlc did not play a disc dt region issues.

8. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Never worked for me until I flashed my DVD drive. You can't even use MTR to rip the DVD off the drive as the result is just garbage.

9. macrumors 603

swiftaw

This used to be true with older hardware (certainly pre-Intel). However, Apple changed to hardware region encoding which cannot be defeated by any software.

10. macrumors P6

dukebound85

11. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

ok now this makes more sense, as i know my 12" PB would play any region w vlc. have a macbook now, and must admit, I havn't actually tried to play any other regions dvds as yet.

12. macrumors demi-goddess

costabunny

Simple

Disable auto play of DVD's (set to always Ignore)

Then whenyou put a dvd in the drive - simply open vlc and choose Open Disc from the file menu.

VLC treats all dvds as data disks and as such it does not even read the region code.

I use this all the time and its flawless so far (with region 1,2,4 and 0)

:)

13. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

this is what we were suggesting earlier, but it's since been suggested that it only works on ppc based macs, not intel. (or are you saying that this technique also works on intel based systems?)

14. macrumors demi-goddess

costabunny

15. thread starter macrumors regular

what i want to do is backup my region 1 dvds with mac the ripper but im fearful of changing the regions of my dvd player. any solutions?

16. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy an external USB drive that doesn't have firmware locking.

17. macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I found my drive's region free firmware on rpc1.org, and now have 2 unlocked drives - one Sony and one HP :)

18. macrumors newbie

I have a plain ol' MacBook purchased in 2008, but is a late-2007 model. I have tried what you suggest, but it doesn't work. I insert the DVD and it comes up asking me to change the region, but I just pretend that window isn't there and open VLC. VLC sees the DVD (it didn't before) and makes an attempt to open it, but then spits it out. Am I missing a step? I've tried this several times w/ VLC open in advance as well.

I'm a new Mac user and so far I've been frustrated with a lot of things about it and this is the biggest...

19. macrumors member

Region free DVD-drive MBP ?

Hi Guys

So i'm from Denmark, and I've got some Seinfeld seasons lying around from the US :) So I decide to watch an episode and my MBP can't unless I change the region code for the dvd-drive ? So now I only have 4 changes left. Isn't there any way to make the dvd-drive region free ?

I Hope you can help

20. macrumors newbie

Yes VLC "Region Free" works, you just have to bypass the Built-in "DVD Player"

Hi there,
    VLC seemed to have worked. The reasons why initially this didn't "seemed" to have worked is because when a DVD is inserted to the DVD drive, the built-in DVD player fires up. This then fires up the Region Select "SOFTWARE". The way to by past it is to "FORCE QUIT" DVD Player before the Region Select software comes online. (ie. Right click on the DVD Player icon that just poped up on the DOCK, and select "force quit".) I just tested this a few times, and the Region Select Software counter still stayed at "5". I hope this clears up the air abit, as this has frusted a great number of the Mac Users.

Thanks to "costabunny", his 1 line comment suddenly dawned on me.....

Cheers,

Trojann

21. macrumors 68000

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me, first of all its impossible to force quit before the region select s/w kicks in (do you have a really really slow mac?) , and secondly, even if I don't start up dvd player at all (via preferences) and just start VLC, I get a corrupted screen due to the mild encryption of region coding.

22. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the step you missed is that you either have to disable autoplay (set to ignore) as the bunny suggested above, or else force quit the DVD player as suggested in a subsequent reply. If you just escape out like you did, I don't think it works.

23. macrumors 68000

I have tried it;
    1) with ignore, so nothing starts, then use VLC - playback corrupted then fails
    2) start VLC instead of DVD player - same
    3) Force quit - impossible to FQ before the region select code comes up

I have a 2009 iMac running 10.5.8

24. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And this is a disc that you know is not bad using some other means of verification, right? Hmmm, I dunno why some computers which (AFAIK) would have hardware RCE can do this and others cannot....

25. macrumors 68000

Tried on 3 different non region 2 (my DVD player) disks,all different regions as well :-(