Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
There is software or at least an editing tool for every coding language including HTML.
I want to ask this community where is there any software available for making iPad apps. I browse few sites like Phone Gap, iSites,MobBase,MyAppBuilder etc. These are online places where i can create iPhone apps without having a necessity of programming language. After I saw, i thought of asking this question about the software for making iPad and iPhone apps easily without coding knowledge.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
http://www.stencyl.com

:)

Doesn't work with iOS quite yet but will soon, looks pretty cool.

Yes its cool, but what about creating interactive apps, I saw one app which is full of graphics, page turning experience, when you click a button you get animation effects on that.

Can you suggest me a complete solution for creating iPhone or iPad apps.

Thanks for the resource and thanks in advance.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Go learn to code and make something decent instead :)

Ok im ready to learn the coding. But currently iam currently having two simple concept apps, you know learning the code and doing it takes more time, im ready to put the hard work, but it will take its own time.

I have only 20 days of time to complete his requirement, I didnt say to my client that I do not know because, I fear he will go to other. I m confident i can do it.

if you really know about creating an app, please suggest me a list of authentic and easy to learn tutorials, it can also be a video tutorial. If you can give, i will really appreciate the timely help.

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
Ok im ready to learn the coding. But currently iam currently having two simple concept apps, you know learning the code and doing it takes more time, im ready to put the hard work, but it will take its own time.

I have only 20 days of time to complete his requirement, I didnt say to my client that I do not know because, I fear he will go to other. I m confident i can do it.

if you really know about creating an app, please suggest me a list of authentic and easy to learn tutorials, it can also be a video tutorial. If you can give, i will really appreciate the timely help.

So you lied to your client? Hopefully he hasn't paid you yet because he's getting ripped off. Coding isn't something you learn overnight, sport. It takes long hours of learning, creativity, and then if, and only if, you come up with something, you have to test it. Then you can submit it to Apple for testing and review. Then they MIGHT let you release it to the App Store. At best, I'd speculate that you'll need a year to learn, apply, create, test and then release it. On top of that- does the client only want to use it in-house or for everyone? If it is in-house he will have to pay a fee to Apple to be able to do so. I suggest you tell the client it isn't going to happen, then take a while to learn it. Or, you find someone that can code (effectively and properly following Apple guidelines) and team up.

I'm a freelance designer. One rule is that you never tell a client you can do something when you can't. It will catch up with you and tarnish your reputation. I've witnessed it.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada

Making an app (read program) requires a programming language. This isn't wordpress. If you have a lot of previous experience in programming then you might make your deadline if you work nonstop and start learning the languages now. Otherwise tell your client you lied and learn for the next time.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Learn XCode/Cocoa.

This will take you more than 20 days likely.

There are no ways to do iPad apps without programming.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
You're going to need to learn Objective-C and use Xcode.

Web apps aren't quite there yet.

Learn XCode/Cocoa.

This will take you more than 20 days likely.

There are no ways to do iPad apps without programming.

Thanks for your reply, Xcode and Cocoa, really no idea where to start. Can anyone help me, im also going to Google these languages and let me see whether i can find it online.

Making an app (read program) requires a programming language. This isn't wordpress. If you have a lot of previous experience in programming then you might make your deadline if you work nonstop and start learning the languages now. Otherwise tell your client you lied and learn for the next time.

Why the hell creating apps is very difficult, I'm sure someone will build a software for easily creating apps.

No way i can tell my client i cannot do it, I will catch someone to complete his requirement, this app is not an in house app, its a share to everyone. But he has got the contents and concept. I have do it.

Tell me how much i should pay per hour for an App developer.

Last edited by a moderator:

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
Why the hell creating apps is very difficult, I'm sure someone will build a software for easily creating apps.

No way i can tell my client i cannot do it, I will catch someone to complete his requirement, this app is not an in house app, its a share to everyone. But he has got the contents and concept. I have do it.

You should probably pay the app developer the amount that you're getting from your client if he is the one creating the app.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Use the App store on your Mac and download XCode for $4.99

PS do you have a Mac?

High demand, more contract work than hourly wage. Deep pockets if you're in a hurry.

Can you just tell me where i can find and can you tell me an approximate hourly rate for a developer. Certainly its a sub contract that Iam going to give, Deep Pockets absolutely No.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

Your looking low side 75.00 an hour. Lookup big nerd ranch there in Georgia I think and they may have some consultants looking for work. Your not going to learn the language and develop your customers app in 20!days unless your Neo and you be programmed in a matter of seconds.

Good luck

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
They started trying to create automatic software from spec over 50 years ago... not much real progress yet. Maybe in another 50 years, some university will figure out enough AI to create something that can write real apps. Currently it still requires about the equivalent of a years worth of university level course study to learn enough to write a good iPhone app.

Current reports on actual development costs for successful app, over on stackoverflow, suggest that a non-trivial app might cost between $4,000 and $250,000 (USD). Here a _link_ to that Q&A.

For a very limited sort of automatic iOS software maker (creates Xcode projects), try looking over at buzztouch.com .

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
FYI - If I were working as a contractor, there is no way I'd accept work with a due date in less than 20 days. It would take, at supersonic speeds, at least 5-10 days to nail down requirements.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No reason to do that. Any salesman, agent, headhunter, or retail store makes money by buying low and selling high.

If an app developer (manufacturer, actor, limo driver, etc.) wants to cut out the middleman, they need to find their own high paying customers directly. Some can't.

I suspect in this case the OP has bid ultra-low to get the contract with absolutely no clue as to what they have to do, how complex it is, how long it will take and how much it will cost. They may have to pay a developer more than they are getting from their client just to get this done and hopefully learn from the experience.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Jeebus and here I am just getting decent in coding in matlab and my past assignments just from a coding perspective took about a month....just basic data manipulation....and matlab is a pretty easy language in comparison

I remember my c classes and one of the assignments was to make a crossword puzzle game..very basic.. and it took forever

OP...in short, unless your a prodigy at coding to the extreme, you are pretty screwed to meet your deadline seeing as how you allude to not having coding experience

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Programs to write programs have been around for years. The problem is that they simply can't address the needs of a complex program.
In every program that I've ever done, the specs change, customers don't see everything they will need.

Any complex app will need to have the code worked by hand.

As far as pay rates, it's really hard to say, but I've heard $75/hr and up is reasonable.

As far as learning ObjC/Xcode, I'd start with starter books like for dummies, Apress has a few good ones, Big Nerd Ranch has a great one. I started with apps just late last year and I'm still going thru several books now. I've been programming for a many years and ObjC is different, the whole app dev process has many things to learn: Xcode, ObjC, programming logic, API, etc...

It's not for everyone, and I strongly recommend starting slow with entry level books so you don't get frustrated and quit. Give the concepts a bit of time to sink in...

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Don't worry about the OP . . . if you check his other thread, it seems that his iPad experience is even shorter than the time he has to write code.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Your looking low side 75.00 an hour. Lookup big nerd ranch there in Georgia I think and they may have some consultants looking for work. Your not going to learn the language and develop your customers app in 20!days unless your Neo and you be programmed in a matter of seconds.

Good luck
I have a religious project in my hands with almost 600 pages of content to be navigated, 75$ will be fine for me, but the problem is the extension of hours. I do not know exactly how many hours it takes to do a iPad app. I think from you , i can assess somewhat around 3000 to 4000 dollars.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK

Oh dear. Perhaps you should act professionally (better late than never) and admit to your client that you're not able to do the work he has requested.

technoawareness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Oh dear. Perhaps you should act professionally (better late than never) and admit to your client that you're not able to do the work he has requested.

I have infact done what you have said, and promised my client that i will be doing the next requirement of him. Luke is there a easy way to develop iPad apps using Adobe Air, Because i know little bit of flash and basic actionscripting knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.