Is there a such thing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheMonarch, Sep 4, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

OK, so, I'm almost ready to purchase a 2005FPW to replace my 17" Compaq 7020 LCD ($699 back in the day :eek: ) because I am a canvas whore. Anyways, I don't want to get rid of my LCD, so now I'm wondering if there such a thing as a composite/s-video to VGA converter? I want to hook it [Monitor] up to my satellite receiver, and it doesn't have an s-video or composite input.

I'd be a great to still have a use for this display, as its served me well (and it has built in speakers, which are plenty loud.)

EDIT: I know that there are converters that work the other way around, but haven't been able to look for one that serves my needs. Also, It would suck to have to buy eye TV because I don't want to tie in my PC or Mac in to it.

2. 40167 macrumors regular

I don't belive those exist as i've never been able to find one either; and my assumption would be if you did find one it would cost way more than a tv tuner.

Now I do relize you didn't want to use a computer, but I'm not aware of any other way to do that. If you got a decent pc you can probibly run windows media center on it; then it's not to bad to use as you could do everything trough the remote, or you could always go for a free and opensource solution like MythTV; which personaly I like better since you can customize the interface many ways or even add stuff like a web browser.

3. leachy macrumors newbie

4. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You guys know when/if Dell will put the 2005FPW on sale again? I heard some people here got it for less than $400, which I find crazy.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

6. dcv macrumors G3

YES there is such a thing, I have one :)

What you need is an "AVerTV Box" made by AVerMedia.

There are several models available. I think these are about £100 to £150ish in the UK but I picked up my AVerTV Box3 on eBay for around £40.

It's not the prettiest of boxes but rather useful - has S-Video, Composite and VGA inputs, with VGA output so that you can hook up a digital tv box for example and use an old LCD monitor with just VGA input and turn it into a TV. Also has its own built-in TV tuner for analogue TV.

hope this helps!