Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
As far as I can tell, there isn't when using the desktop/web UI. Am I just missing it? Wouldn't be the first time :D It doesn't [seem] appear under their avatar in a post, or in the popup dialog when you click their avatar/username, or on their Profile Page.

Someone mentioned there was a status when using Tapatalk (which seemed to confirm what I expected), so it's an available value, it's like it's not in the markup template.

Since some folks I only know from this board, if they're not responding, I have no other way to contact them (and no idea if they're prevented from responding).

Thanks!

DT

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No, XF doesn't indicate a member's status like VB did. For staff members, we can see who is in good standing and who isn't.

We are currently in discussions on this very topic on whether we are going to keep it like it is, or find a way to make a member's status visible to everyone, like it was under VB.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Someone mentioned that seeing the "start conversation" link on the little profile preview modal pop-up (not sure if it's on the actual profile page) can be an indicator of sorts as apparently it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be there for someone who is banned or in a time-out.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No, XF doesn't indicate a member's status like VB did. For staff members, we can see who is in good standing and who isn't.

We are currently in discussions on this very topic on whether we are going to keep it like it is, or find a way to make a member's status visible to everyone, like it was under VB.

Ahh, OK. It _seems_ like it's a handy bit of information if you're waiting/expecting for a reply from another member (whether it's a public thread or private conversation), and it never comes because they've been kicked off.

(Though honestly, I don't spend too much time talking to folks who are the types of users that get kicked off :) )

I'll mark this topic as resolved.

Someone mentioned that seeing the "start conversation" link on the little profile preview modal pop-up (not sure if it's on the actual profile page) can be an indicator of sorts as apparently it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be there for someone who is banned or in a time-out.

Nice trick. That would make sense from a design/dev standpoint (I'm a developer). Like I said, it apparently is displayed if you use Tapatalk, must be part of the data/JSON/etc., that's sent over via the API to Tapatalk).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Wouldn't that also be absent for those who have disabled private messages in the forum preferences? @Rogifan, for example.

But there is also another trick, although less convenient, discovered on this thread.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.