is there a way in which i can switch between users and not log off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hungarianguy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

is there a way in which i can switch between two user profiles without having to log off?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yes. enable "fast user switching" in your system preferences, in the accounts section

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You should be able to enable fast user switching through System Preferences->User accounts

Attached Files:

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just note that not logging off means your apps continue to run (eating up RAM, CPU, etc.) and that some apps, like iTunes, aren't fond of sharing users.

Generally, though, virtual memory takes care (nicely) of RAM issues, and most apps don't do much when you're not logged in, so, overall, Fast User Switching is a good thing.

5. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

after I enabeled this what do I use to switch between the users? I do not see a menu item that says switch between users. And logoff still stops all programs.

thansk,dan

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

Click on your user account name in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What...?

Apple suggest this as a simple way of sharing music among different users on the same computer:
    from iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Older versions of iTunes wouldn't run for multiple users simultaneously. Newer versions may have changed this though.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It has changed, you can actually be playing 2 different songs at the same time :eek:

And switching without logging off assumes you are using at least Panther I think. I don't believe Jaguar allowed this.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]