Is there a way to backup iTunes library?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amy2005, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

I'm trying to get my final cut pro to recognise my video camera and think a full system restore might help. please could someone tell me if there is a way to back up my iTunes library so i can just import it when i've reset my computer and got everything installed again?
    Thanks
    Amy

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you got Keep iTunes Folder Organised ticked in the Advanced section of your iTunes Preferences? If so, take note of the location of your library. By default, it'll be in your iTunes Music folder. So, if you just make a copy of the iTunes folder in your Music folder, then you'll have to merely place this back in the new Music folder after the restore to get iTunes working normally. :)

The iTunes folder contains the iTunes Music folder and two data files. You'll need all of these (well, not the XML file but take it anyway).

3. bigbadTKO macrumors member

dont forget to export playlist contents onto xml files to save your playlists (i.e. purchased playlist)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you keep the file structure the same (all music within the iTunes Music folder) then you don't need to export playlists, they come with the iTunes Library data file(s). :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Where does album art live? I copied my iTunes library from my iBook to my iMac and now I have no album art.... :(

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Album art is kept in the ID3 tag from memory. Did you convert the ID3 tags because this can lose album art? It's a good way of removing it all.

FWIW, ID3 version 1 format doesn't support embedded images at all.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

See, that's what I thought, too.... I just copied my entire Music folder over from one Mac to the other. All the other characteristics of the songs, including play count and so on, survived. Just not album art! :(

EDIT: Hmmm...a lot of my songs *do* have artwork. But some of them don't, and I'm pretty sure they did on my iBook. Hmmm...strange. :( And also, when did iTunes change so that, when you click on a song, you don't see the artwork in the lower left preview pane unless you actually play the song? :(

Anyway, sorry, wild goose chase. :(

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

All you have to do to fix that is click above the album art where it says "Now Playing" and it will change to "Selected Song."

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, I was looking for a way to change this and right-clicking stuff and looking for context menus and looking for options in the prefs. Duh that it would be this simple. :)

Thank you! :)

10. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you :) i got all my songs on again sucessfully with no trouble

Thanks again
    Amy

11. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

No problem, man!