is there a way to boot into classic from OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 5, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i just wanted to know out of curiosity if there was a way to boot into OS 9 if you have it installed and have classic on OSX i want to be able to see the classic desktop and browse my computer that way, is there any way to do it, like holding down some key when you boot?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh....

System preferences, Classic, Launch. You can't actually boot into OS 9 anymore, only run Classi.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Your thread made my computer crash! That hasn't happened, um, maybe ever before? I don't remember.

I think that any Mac from 2002 and earlier, and some eMacs and iBooks from 2003 are OS 9 bootable. Any Mac newer than that can't boot into OS 9, and can only run it in Classic.

To get you computer to boot in OS 9 (if it's old enough), go to System Prefs, Startup Disc, and select the OS 9 folder. However, that's what I did and my eMac crashed while it was loading what folders were available to choose from. My iBook, however (good old lappy) worked just fine. If you select the OS 9 folder and select restart, you're off to the world of old school mac world.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you have a PowerMac with FW800 -- it'll only run OS X.

If you have any other Mac with DDR memory -- it'll only run OS X.

Basically if you didn't get a copy of OS 9 with your Mac -- it'll only run OS X.

---

It is possible to run OS 9 on the current DDR Mac, all it'll take is for you to write a ROM update for the machine, hack the firmware, and rewrite some of the extensions and control panels -- something even Apple decided wasn't worth the time and money to do. ;)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The PowerMac G4s released after the G5, were OS9 capable.

TEG

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Those MDD machines didn't have FW800, they re-released the rev A MDD machines -- which didn't have the FW800 and the PCI-USB controller chip that the rev B had.

Edit: it wasn't the FW800 that kill OS 9 bootability -- since all the MDD machines seemed to have the same FW chip, it was Apple moving the USB off the Keylargo chip onto the PCI bus that made OS 9 useless.

7. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

So what Mac do you have? :confused:

8. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i got a powerbook 12" g4, 1.33 ghz and i just love classic and i want to see the desktop and be able to use the full potential of OS 9, as much as i LOVE PANTHER classic is still cool and i don't want to see them get rid of it because it looks so much more professional

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Really? I think OS 9 and Classic look so Windows 3.1. OS X was long overdue - I wouldn't have dreamt on getting a Mac until that came along.

10. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

None of the Aluminum PowerBooks can boot into OS 9, sorry :(

Sorry, but you think Classic looks more professional than OS X itself? I'm not sure how many people would share that same opinion with you, but...

I enjoy using OS 8.6 & 9 myself, and if you really want to run it, my advice to you would be to get an old G3 PowerBook, or an old iBook. If you got a G3 iBook (700, 800 or 900Mhz) you could run OS X and OS 9 (thought obviously not at the same time.) Keep in mind though, that OS X has some luxuries that OS 9 doesn't: for example force-quitting a program in OS 9 can bring the whole OS down.

11. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

its not that i don't like OSX i love it, i think its better then classic would ever be, but i just feel that with all the "pretty colours" and stuff likee that makes it look less like a business OS and more like a classicly laid back one, i like the look of classsic and i think it just looked a lot more professional, i don't necissarily like it more, i love osx and the way it looks, but classic looks more professional