Is there a way to calibrate 2 monitors correctly?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac000, Jan 15, 2007.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    No matter how hard i've tried there is no way i can calibrate the LCD on my MBP and the 22" gateway LCD to look the same. I want to have the exact same color profiles but if i select for example the same adobe color profile on my MBP and 22" Gateway, even tho the profiles are the same the differences are quite noticeable.

How can i calibrate the LCD on my MBP and 22" gateway to be the same?
  2. hayduke macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2005
    is a state of mind.
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Just because you're using the same colour profiles doesn't mean things will look the same on every LCD. All LCDs have a different response to whatever signal it's being sent, so each LCD panel itself must be calibrated. Setting the colour profiles in software is great if you're going to print, as you can to ensure that you and the printer are using the same colour profile. However, this doesn't mean you'll get accurate colour accuracy if the colours you see on your LCD aren't accurate to begin with. So essentially, you need to calibrate your LCD so that you, every professional, and pretty much everyone doing print-work are staring at the same colours; then you need to ensure that the colours you see are going to be the colours that are printed. Imagine editing a photo for colour and contrast, everything looks identical on your monitor, on another monitor, on a friend's monitor in Finland, and yet the printer doesn't print accurately because you're not using the same colour profile in Adobe. :p

There are 2 things people like photographers and image guys need to do:

1. Calibrate your LCD to a standard, and do this for every LCD you use. This means using Gretag-Macbeth, Colourvision Spyder, Eye-one or similar product so that the colours and colour saturation you see on YOUR LCD is identical or very similar to what other professionals see on their screens. This will make your monitors show identical images (to an extent.....some LCDs are crap). Do this calibration every month, and only after leaving your LCD on for 30 minutes to warm up all the pixels on the LCD panel.

2. Second is to use the appropriate colour profile to ensure that when you print it, the colours are printed the same as the way they appear on your LCD......What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG). Just because the colours on your LCD are the same as the colours on another pro's LCD (I'm assuming that ALL pros calibrate their photos and images), doesn't mean the printer will print what you see on your LCD. Printing colour accuracy and LCD accuracy aren't related when you think about it, because why does the printer care that your LCD is accurate? Some people use sRGB, some use CMYK, Adobe RGB, etc. Printers need to know what you're using so that they can ensure that their printer has the same profile. :)

I hope that helps you. I'm not a professional (hobbyist photographer who doesn't care at all about colour accuracy because he never prints and only has 1 LCD), so if someone else wants to chime in, please do so. :eek:
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild