Is there a way to continuously sync bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I spend my time at so many computers that it would be great if there was a way to sync bookmarks automatically between the Firefox copies on each PC/Mac. Is there a way to do this in a painless manner?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I do not know of a solution but you could use portable firefox on a usb stick. Obviously this is not cross platform.

4. Lau Guest

There's something called Delibar that sits in your menubar and is a drop down list of your del.icio.us bookmarks. If you used del.icio.us to manage them online, the Delibar should update it automatically when you switch each computer on.

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd prefer something that doesn't store any information on online services for some of my browsing, especially when I bookmark pages on restricted servers.

In fact, I'd prefer it not for open browsing as well as bookmarks can give away a lot about what you buy, where you buy it from, your interests, etc - stuff which I prefer not to be used by online services.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, you want different computers to share your bookmarks, while you dont want information transfered through internet, which means u need those computers share some information through a way that is not internet.
    export/import your bookmarks, and carry it with a flash drive.

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Oh that's not an issue - I usually access the Internet using proxy servers which I access via VPN in any case, so I always have access to shared storage whichever PC I'm working on. Export / Import becomes a nightmare and I just need transparent sync.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Foxmarks FireFox extension will by default sync your bookmarks on their site, but it's super easy to have it sync with any FTP site of your choosing.

I use it all the time to sync bookmarks between work (where I use FireFox on XP) and home (where I use FireFox on my MacBook).

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

If it helps any, ...

Attached Files:

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Beware! I tried FoxMarks and it totally trashed my bookmarks. Luckily I exported them right before I installed it, so i could get them back. I have used a few other bookmark utilities also with limited success. I am currently using Google Bookmark Sync and it works great after I did some initial cleanup on my own (at first it just hung on trying to merge bookmarks).

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Was that recently?

I've been using it for 3-4 months pretty extensively on 4 systems (Dell+XP, MB+OS X, MB+XP via Parallels, MB+XP via BootCamp) with no issues. (knock on wood)

12. danny_w macrumors 601

That was within the last 2 weeks, at first with FF 1.5 and then with FF 2.0, both of which failed similarly. Needless to say I will never try it again.

13. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I drifted away from this thread - thanks for the Foxmarks + FTP recommendation, I got it from elsewhere and it's working great :D

14. Bellamichelle macrumors newbie

It would be helpful to the other readers who follow threads hoping to learn without asking the same questions that have been asked, if you would share what solution you found helpful.

;)

15. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

if you wanna make your life easier chrome has this functionality built in

16. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You do realize you are asking a guy who hasn't visited this thread in 4 years to come back and update it, right?

I agree. I did find that chrome sync didn't work properly for me so I use xmarks. Xmarks gives you the chance to take your bookmarks to a new browser very conveniently.