Is There A Way To Control iTunes, From The Keyboard....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, May 21, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

While it's hidden or in the back? Liek assign commands to the "F" buttons. I never use those buttons anyways.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i believe butler'll do that although i don't use it. hmm....when one sets a keyboard shortcut in sysprefs is that global ie itunes next song short cut set, will it work in ps or something?

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I use this program called X-Tunes . You just use keyboard shortcuts like Command+Space, and this window will pop up and then disappear when you release the buttons.

4. blvdeast macrumors regular

Try Quicksilver. They have a trigger system that can launch anything including applescripts. They have some applescripts already made that do basic itunes stuff and more. It works regardless of iTunes being active or not. The latest version is Tiger only, the one before that is for Panther and down. That one works fine if your on Panther.
    quicksilver.blacktree.com

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Synergy. One of the most useful apps for OSX.

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yup...then you can control iTunes from just about anywhere ;)

7. JoeUK macrumors member

Byte controller is pretty much the same as synergy, but is free. I don't really understand why so many people use Syngergy.. really.

Edit: Also has nice growl support if you have growltunes, which comes with growl.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Is there anything like Synergy that's free? Thanks for the help guys.

9. JoeUK macrumors member

Try my last post ;)

10. freeorangeshoes macrumors member

TuneKeys is like synergy but free. It also integrates with growl if you use that.

11. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i use SizzlingKeys. i don't need any extra stuff like in Butler to bog down my aging computer, just a pause/play and next, and it's global so you can use them from any program at any time. there's even rating options and a floater if you want, and i think there's a searching option, but i opt out of most stuff. most of the extra stuff is a little buggy anyway. in fact i would get it before the guy adds any more stuff. i have my function keys on my powerbook set to software functions not hardware (screen dimming etc) so it works well for pause/play and next, and i get to use the rest of them for keyboard access and other custom things.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

U got a link?

13. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I wanted to try bytecontroller, but the link on versiontracker doesn't seem like its workin... Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll try them out.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I tried You Control for a little while, and it was quite OK, but I didn't get dependent and quit after a while. ;)

I'm not totally sure if it had keyboard shortcuts for the most usual functions (I got really bad memory at the moment), but it would surprise me if they don't have it or at least that you can make some, either in the program or System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts.

You Control requires registration but is free.

15. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I tried TuneKeys, and realized, after trying Synergy, I like have the control on the menu bar too. So I got rid of that, then tried iController, and that's just the controls in the menu bar, no hotkeys. I wanna try ByteController, but the link doesn't seem like it's workin'. And I alos wanted to try Sizzling Keys, but in one of the reviews it say it takes up alot of memory. iController takes up about 9MB of real memory. I'll keep lookin around to see if there's anythin' better.