Is there a way to disable the new built in flashlight?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Overtoad, Sep 21, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I tried to delete it but it won't allow it. Anyway to disable?

2. macrumors 68020

bbfc

Don't use it.

3. macrumors member

NinjaDuck

There's no way to disable the flashlight. Not that i know of.

4. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

What is going on here!?

A perfectly sensible suggestion...here!?

Really, if you keep this up you're going to ruin it for those who can't figure this stuff out and need apps to disappear rather than just ignoring them. :D

:rolleyes::p

(Readers please note...this is irony, a jest...I'm not criticizing bbfc's post, I am agreeing with it.)

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't find where to disable either. Thanks for the reply

6. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

What are you trying to disable here? Do you not want there to be a flashlight icon in control center or something? If that's the case, no one is forcing you to click it. It's there for convenience sake. I personally use it all the time, and love that it's now included with iOS 7 in control center rather than having to use an app like in previous iOS versions.

7. macrumors G3

Without any snark. You can't edit what is in Command Center.

8. macrumors newbie

Apple Logic (don't use it, you are using it wrong, it's a beta).

9. macrumors 601

While I understand what you're saying, the OP hasn't stated what their concern about it is...

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

It for some reason has caused my 3rd party flashlight app not to work. I like the 3rd party flashlight app better. Can dim and brighten it. I was hoping the forced built in app could be disabled. I deleted 3rd party app and reinstalled it but the problem was not corrected.

11. macrumors G3

Have you emailed the app's developer to ask them what they think? It might need to be updated.

12. macrumors member

Maybe your flashlight app hasn't been updated for ios 7 yet?

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't yet.

14. macrumors G3

Serious question. Why did you think we know more about the app than the developer in regards to Command Center having anything to do with the app or whether the app needs to be updated because if Command Center?

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't ask about the app. I asked if anyone here knew if the ios 7 forced flashlight could be disabled. That's all I asked. I looked and thought I was missing where it could be disabled just like you can disable the camera.

16. macrumors 6502

To be fair to the OP, their initial question was whether the built in flashlight could be disabled, not about a preinstalled app and Command (sic) Centers impact on it.

17. macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

What makes you think the presence of a built-in LED toggle is what broke your 3rd party app?

There were a gazillion changes to iOS implemented under-the-hood between iOS 6 and iOS7. New frameworks, changes to old frameworks, new permissions, new this, new that, and oh: 64 bit. This was not just a cosmetic, My Little Pony makeover. Things have been hugely changed under-the-hood. And with the 5S the flash hardware itself has changed, with the color-correcting dual LEDs.

If one app breaks while another (perhaps a built-in one, as in this case) there is absolutely zero reason to blame the working app for the non-working app's misbehavior.

Contact the developer, if they're still in business and plan an update. Unfortunately, most of the flashlight apps were from one-off, flash-in-the-pan (heh) developers.

Over the next week or two, expect a few "My favorite app broke!" posts. It's inevitable, but what's most striking is how most every one Just Works despite the big changes internal to iOS 7.

Bottom line: Removing the Control Center's LED toggle would not magically allow your out-of-date app to work again. Sorry.

18. macrumors 68020

bbfc

I doubt thats what has stopped the app from working. It sounds more likely that the app you are using hasn't been updated to work with iOS 7.

I fail to see how the inbuilt flashlight could stop an app from working.

19. macrumors newbie

I am amazed at the nasty replies the OP has received.

The OP asked a very simple yes or no question.

He asked if the flashlight included with IOS 7 could be "disabled" that is all he asked. You guys write essays and drill him on why etc. show some class guys. Some of these post you'd see on the Android forums.

To the OP. I looked and it can't be disabled unless its hidden. I myself don't like I can't adjust the brightness.

20. macrumors G3

And I answered that you can't modify those things. Then the OP said it was an issue with his app. This means he knew all along there was a problem with an app due to a brand new OS version. Logic dictates if it's an app issue you should ask the dev first because none if us know which app he is using nor do we know how the new OS affects an app we know nothing about.

21. macrumors 601

Yes, but that doesn't stop the question being the wrong one!

If the OP asked for help with the specific App (they still haven't said which one it is), then they might have got a solution to their actual problem, rather than to a problem that they think exists.

The answer to that question won't help the OP. The new flashlight feature does not disable or interfere with third party flashlight apps.

22. macrumors 68030

verwon

People really need to knock this logic crap off, it freaking confuses everyone! :eek:

23. macrumors regular

Wish this was possible - I would swap airplane mode for 3g/4g toggle. It's not like I use airplane mode on a daily basis!