Is there a way to easily synchronize folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RHMMMM, Jan 6, 2006.

1. RHMMMM macrumors member

I have several folders backed up on an external firewire drive that is not always connected. Is there software or a way within OS X or Automator, etc. to easily synchronize the folder on my PowerBook with the one on the external drive without re-rewriting the entire folder and subfolders?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. RHMMMM thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks, I appreciate it - I'll have to try it when I get home.

4. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

If you aren't afraid of the command-line, you can try rsync:
    Enter
    man rsync
    in Terminal to read the manual and decide if it's for you.
    -lex

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

Try this Link: http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/folderactions.html

6. Tomaz macrumors 6502

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

8. HardyH macrumors newbie

9. aka201 macrumors newbie

i just stumbled upon this topic via google.
    i would recommend arRsync - http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ - as a GUI for rsync - if you do not want to go to the command line yourself

10. Doc69 macrumors 6502

Software that can clone/synchronize folders?

I'm also looking for a software that can clone/synchronize folders, including incremental synchronizations after the initial backup is made. I've been using Retrospect 6.1 for years, but apparently the latest version 8 does not have this "Duplicate Folders" function, or the incremental backup function doesn't work very well. And with 10.7 approaching, I need to look for an alternative.

I sometimes use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone full disks, but I haven't found a way to make it clone folders. CCC would work if it could do the same thing for folders as for full disks. Maybe I just haven't been able to figure out how to do it?

Also, I need the ability to save used paths so that I can easily switch between the many folder synchronization backups that I perform regularly.

I'm not comfortable with using command line.

Someone recommended Synchronize Pro, but I don't want to spend $100. $50 is more reasonable.

11. Doc69 macrumors 6502

Intego Backup Express

I hadn't looked in the App Store for a while, but after searching again today, I found a brand new software from Intego called Intego Backup Express. It's only $9.99 and does exactly what I was looking for. You can synchronize any two folders and easily save your own 'Preset' scripts. You can also do backups, where you save multiple version of a file as well as set up scheduling. It also has plenty of options and the interface is very Mac like, i.e. clean and intuitive.

The only thing I haven't figured out if it can do yet, is how to set criteria for what constitutes a changed file, i.e. date, name, attributes etc.

I feel very lucky today to have found this app. I have been looking for a replacement to Retrospect 6.1 for a couple of years now. And today I found it!!

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I use rsync also, probably not advised for those who don't do well with the command line.
    I have mine setup pretty nice actually, I used an rsync script and it is set to run every hour through lanunchd. My plist file also has it set to Low Priority Mode as to not effect any of my user processes.
    Like Time Machine now that I have done my work on the front end, I never have to do anything for my remote backups.

13. davidlv macrumors 65816

Second that vote for Silverkeeper. Make sure you have the "Copy set to folder" option checked. Then set the source folder in the left pane and the destination as one level above the destination folder on the Destination disk. That should synk the folders. Look at the options for deleting files not in the source folder too!
    Silverkeeper is powerful software, but if you are not careful you can be at risk for data loss.

14. tomllama macrumors regular

I've been using Chronosync for the last couple years. It's easy to use and works well.

15. Cortland, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Cortland macrumors newbie

New-ish to Mac, very new to synchronizing...

I am not sure if what I hope to do is the same thing others use it for or not.

I want to work from home from time to time. I have a 2TB G-RAID at home and we have a 4 TB RAID tower here at work. Obviously I will not be able to sync all 4TB but there are several folders I use frequently and would probably max out at well under 2TB.

What I hope to do is sync folders at work to a portable drive (probably 2TB max so I never go over what I can use at home). Take this drive home, sync it to the 2TB G-RAID, work there, sync from G-RAID back to the portable drive, take it to work and have it sync back to folders at work...repeat.

Does sync work this way? Can it go Drive A to B, B to C, C to B, B to A? Or is this just asking for trouble?

I think I could work out a way to more or less just go A to B to C and just manually bring files to work from home to place in the folders manually if need be, but obviously that is putting a lot of human error into the mix!

Can anyone help?