Is there a way to force Quicktime to crop videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jive, May 28, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

I have a 17" intel iMac - and obviously the screen ratio (10:16 isn't it?) doesn't fit any video output - not widescreen (9:16) or normal TV output (3:4) - so it is possible for QT to crop the video down (either on the sides or on the top) so it fills my screen completely? I don't mean by stretching it which can be done in VLC...

Cheers for any help... jive

2. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. reh macrumors 6502a

Hmm, kind of an odd request... But anywho, you could just zoom in via OS X's Universal Access tools.

Command-Option-8 to enable Zoom
    Command-Option-+ (plus) to zoom in
    Command-Option-- (minus) to zoom out

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I searched for an answer to the same question about a year ago and the answer at that time seemed to be, no, the Quicktime player cannot do the simple task of cropping video. It's moot though because you should never use the Quicktime player for anything. Use VLC instead, it's free and it crops.

To crop in VLC just go to video filters and check off crop, then in the crop options page write in the crop values you want in verticalxhorizontal number of pixels the video should be, the rest gets cropped. I'm not on a Mac at this second so I can't give you the exact instructions, but that's close enough for you to figure it out.