is there a way to get iCal to send me and e-mail to remind me my contacts b-days?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by juanster, Apr 2, 2007.

1. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

iCal has so many cool features, i just don't see why it would not have this one, i believe it doe si just do ot know how to get it to work, anyways it shows all my b-days from address book anyone knows how to make iCal or adress book send me an email to remind me? than xin adavance guys hope this is possible

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Not as the "Birthdays" calendar is set up now, no. The "Birthdays" calendar is read-only...so no way to set up alarms as you could in a normal calendar. You'll need to copy the birthday even into another editable calendar before you can set up an alarm that will e-mail you, etc.

3. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

oh no thats ucks that would take me f orever ,, oh well thanx alot anyways

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It is kind of weird...I'm hoping that the next version of iCal will let you create a standard alarm for read-only calendars (even if just for the Birthdays calendar).

If you don't already have the iCalEvents widget, check it out here...it's not as helpful as an email alarm, but if you see that a birthday is coming up every time you show the Dashboard, at least it might register in time to buy a gift or make a phone call.