Is There a Way to Keep Signed On To AIM While My Comp Goes To Sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Sep 29, 2004.

1. macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Topic..... I see people on all the time, Do they keep their computers on all the time w/o sleepin' and not havin' the hardrives sleep? Is that ok for computers? Whenever my eMac (OSX) goes to sleep it will sign me off. Just wonderin'. Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I am inclined to say no. But if anyone has anything different please post it, becuase I am a compulsive AIM Person (the only time I turn it off is when I am studying).

Mike

3. Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you mean "Sleep" in the typical sense in the Mac OS, no you cannot maintain an AIM login. There is no network connectivity to a Mac that is sleeping.

4. macrumors 65816

hcuar

No... When it's sleeping, it turns of your networking "stuff". Therefore, the AOL IM connection is "broken" and disconnects. No way around it. Sorry. :cool:

5. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

you can just turn the screen off...

6. macrumors 6502a

Sorry, not hijacking your thread, but I have a related thought ...

Sometimes I like to keep my network connections open, but I want to shut my Powerbook's lid. I don't like leaving the lid open, it feels "unsafe" somehow.

So is there a way to keep your computer from going to sleep when the lid is closed?

7. macrumors 601

stoid

Yup.

8. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I think one of the reasons why it they have it only sleep when the lid is closed it due to heat issues, right?

9. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have read arguments in both directions. The amount of heat that leeches through the keyboard itself is small. However, the face of a powerbook gets quite hot, and with the LCD in such close proximity, I have no idea what that heat is doing to the plastic and liquid crystals. IMO, it's not a great idea to run with the lid closed, however, apparently, Apple supports that behavior.

10. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

Actually, you'll notice that that doesn't work for newer PowerBooks (Anything running Panther or above). It'll prevent sleep for about 2 minutes, then the machine will power OFF. The only way to prevent a recently manufactured PowerBook from sleeping is to interrupt the magnetic sleep switch located under the Right Arrow key. There's an article about it on MacOSXhints, but I can't find it right now. People have wrapped coins in tape (to prevent scratching), placed them on the handrest below the end key, and then closed the lid on them. The PowerBook will stay awake, and will not shut itself down after a few minutes.

However, none of this really helps out the original poster, to whom I appologize for responding to an off-topic post.

11. Moderator emeritus

yellow