Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That does not help when you want switch between tabs or pull history/bookmark. I do want tool bar in the bottom

Just tap anywhere on the bottom of the window. Pretty simple, and great implementation to allow for nearly full screen browsing in portrait mode.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I dont find flicking my finger down the screen to bring it back a problem. In fact I love the way they have made full screen browsing so seamless rather than the on off solution we had in iOS 6.

Ultimately, if you don't like it, theres plenty of other browsers to use.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Just tap anywhere on the bottom of the window. Pretty simple, and great implementation to allow for nearly full screen browsing in portrait mode.

That is still two taps and annoying regardless. The Toolbar really doesn't take much spaces and allow more speedy operation. Without toolbar you might gain one ore two line of space, not much at all. iOS 6 implementation is much more efficient

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
OP was asking about back and forward.

For Tabs and bookmarks etc just tap at bottom.

I understand that. I have no problem on back and forward, but I have problem on switching tab or typing address... It require more steps

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I understand that. I have no problem on back and forward, but I have problem on switching tab or typing address... It require more steps

It takes 1/10th of a second to bring up the bar. A small price to pay for a larger viewing space. Sounds like a pretty petty complaint.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
It takes 1/10th of a second to bring up the bar. A small price to pay for a larger viewing space. Sounds like a pretty petty complaint.

No it is not. As I said, you don't gain significant more space when you hiding the toolbar, it adds more complexity.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Everything everyone posts in here is a first world post. Your point?

Really annoys me when people belittle others in a forum when something is brought up.

Not belittling. Just saying, it's hardly complex to bring up the navigation bar, and obviously Apple is about maximizing screen real estate. It's a trade off and not everyone will win out.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Not belittling. Just saying, it's hardly complex to bring up the navigation bar, and obviously Apple is about maximizing screen real estate. It's a trade off and not everyone will win out.

Agreed on your second part. In the past, those who wanted the max real estate had to hit twice. Now those folks get it be default, and those who want to use the bookmarks have to hit twice. It's a trade off.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
But riddle me this:

(Spoiler: this is not on the same level as world hunger -- would suggest those hoping to solve such issues stop visiting forums like this.)

Why is it that, when you're in the middle of a page and you've tapped at the bottom to bring up the bottom bar, it automatically disappears when you swipe to scroll down, but NOT if you swipe to scroll up? The only way to get it to re-disappear is to scroll down a little.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But riddle me this:

(Spoiler: this is not on the same level as world hunger -- would suggest those hoping to solve such issues stop visiting forums like this.)

Why is it that, when you're in the middle of a page and you've tapped at the bottom to bring up the bottom bar, it automatically disappears when you swipe to scroll down, but NOT if you swipe to scroll up? The only way to get it to re-disappear is to scroll down a little.

If you scroll up, it expects that you are done with the page and trying to go back/go to a different page, so it brings up the task bar.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
If you scroll up, it expects that you are done with the page and trying to go back/go to a different page, so it brings up the task bar.

Scrolling up doesn't bring up the nav bar, it just doesn't make it disappear like scrolling down does.

BTW, I'm talking about when the scrolling action starts and stops mid-page. Scrolling all the way to the bottom or top brings up the nav bar, but that's not what I'm talking about.

[Added later: Depending on the gesture you use to scroll up, it can bring up the nav bar, e.g., if you "flick" up, as opposed to scrolling up and letting your finger come to rest before removing from the screen. But my original question still stands.]

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Scrolling up doesn't bring up the nav bar, it just doesn't make it disappear like scrolling down does.

BTW, I'm talking about when the scrolling action starts and stops mid-page. Scrolling all the way to the bottom or top brings up the nav bar, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm on an iPhone 5. If the nav bar is hidden, and I scroll up at all (one small finger swipe) and stop, the nav bar appears. If it's hidden, and I scroll down, it stays hidden. And this is starting in the middle of a page and stopping just above/below the middle (no where near the top or bottom of the page).

And again, if it's up, scrolling up doesn't make it disappear because it's still assuming that you're done with the page and want to navigate elsewhere.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Tap the bottom of the browser and it returns...otherwise swipe from off screen to go back.

The only thing that annoys me about that is that you have to tap the top bar twice to go to the top of the page now...because the first tap brings back the controls and the second tap goes up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.