Is there a way to make the debugger loop?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by larswik, Jun 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2006
    I am finalizing my dice program and I have a NSTextField that show the value of the most rolled dice number. I use a for loop to iterate from 0 to 99 and if the number rolled is 28 I do basically 'array++;' which increments index 28 to a value of 1 and so on. There is something in the code that is wrong and no matter what the next number will be 29, 30 and so on.

I turned on the break points but I need to go through many rolls of the dice to see what is happening. 1 pass is not enough.

Can I set up the debugger to loop?

2. macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2007
    Set the breakpoint in the loop and hit continue to iterate.
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2006
    Never mind, lars = stupid. I just had to hit the dice roll button again. I was pressing the continue and never even thought of pressing the roll button again.

4. macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2010
    In this kind of situation, setting up a condition on the break point can useful. You can have the break point only trigger under certain conditions, such as a variable have a particular value.
  5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2006
    I did set up break points to stop at certain conditions. I also found out with the debugger that I can insert numbers into the int values so I don;t have to keep hitting the roll button. I could change the value of die number at index 74 to have a value of 6. That sped things up.

Now the last thing is to fix the PopUpButton that you helped me with yesterday.