Is there a way to re-download music already purchased in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by lsutiger, Aug 12, 2003.

1. macrumors member

I recently reformatted my HD and reinstalled my OS. There is one album that I purchased on iTunes that I failed to backup. Is there a way to downoad it again from iTunes without paying?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 601

ftaok

You're probably screwed, but there might be a few things you could try.

1. Try clicking "Advanced>Check for Purchased Music ..."

2. Calling Apple to see if they'll help you out.

BTW, did you de-authorize your Mac before you formatted the HD? I'm planning on formatting my HD before installing Panther (in a couple months), and I'm sketchy on how to proceed with $50 of purchased music on my HD.

3. macrumors newbie

What I have done to backup my purchased music is to use iTunes and create a data cd. I can't remember the option (I'm at work) but I think there is an option to create an .mp3 or AAC type disk. I selected the AAC whatever option.

After I formated my drive, I imported the music and then autorized my computer to play the music. It was pretty easy. If you have a .Mac account, the Backup program did a great job of backing up my iTunes library.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Tried the advanced>Check for Purchased Music, but nothing is there.

I didn't de-authorize my Mac before formatting. Maybe I should have. I've only had my Mac (1st Mac) for less than a week and I'm still learning the ropes.

I do have that album on my iPod and I think there might be some software out there that will transfer songs from the iPod back to the computer. I guess I will look into that.