Is there a way to receive a wireless signal and have it come out on an ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwajo.com, Aug 25, 2006.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

Alright, so I need help, that much is obvious. Here’s my problem: say I have a wireless network, and I want to connect a device on another floor of my house, but there is already a wired network up there, is there a kind of router or access point that lets you receive the wireless signal from my broadband router, and send it along through a wired network (so I don’t have to run a cable up to flights of stairs or drill any holes)? What I’m looking for is some sort of backwards wireless router that goes wireless→wired, not wired→wireless. Does such a thing exist? Will any access point do this and I’m just not aware?
    Any help would be appreciated, I’m looking to set this up pretty soon, if it’s even possible. :eek:

Thanks in Advance Mates

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yep, its called a wireless ethernet bridge. I just ordered the Linksys WET54G for my Slingbox.

A quick Google search for ethernet bridge should give you good results. FYI, you adjust settings for your network through a browser by going to the bridge's IP (like 192.168.1.110 or so).

3. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

wow after hearing the name, I feel ashamed I didn't think of that to begin with. Wireless, Ethernet, Bridge. The answer to my problem is practically all spelled out for me right there lol

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

when you do that, do you have to port forward twice, one on ther ethernet bridge, one on the access point?