Is there a way to reformat a Power PC G4 without the install disk?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rainman89, Jun 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I purchase a used Power PC G4 laptop from my son's freshman roomate. That was about 4 years ago. I have the passwords and I'd like to install some new software, but they require I upgrade to Leopard, I'm currently running Tiger. However, I found out that to upgrade to Leopard, I need the original install disk, which he never gave me. I wasn't very computer savvy, so I didn't know to ask for them.

I know the kid's name and state, but I guess he's still listed under his parent's name, so the phone directory is no help. The school is not allowed to give me his contact info.

So, I went to an authorized apple repair facility, they want $150 to do it, plus they won't install the Leopard OS I just bought, they said I had to buy a new Leopard OS from them, but because I broke the seal on my set, I can't return it. Before I spend that kind of money, is there a way I can just reformat the HD and install Leopard myself? (Snow Leopard isn't compatible with my Power PC)

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. macrumors member

Well if you bought the CDs. And the guy did say it Ran Leopard on it. I would Get a Double Layer Blank DVD. Get a Copy of Leopard from a Pirate (Wink Wink) Burn the DVD image to a double Layer DVD and install. Because if you have the CDs/Own 1 or more Copys of Leopard you are ALLOWED by the copyright agreement to install it on any Apple Computer you want. Remember a Copy per License you got. (Per Leopard installs/CD you have). SO get your Copy and install :D

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

One question

Thanks for the advice. But one question, do I have to install the Tiger OS first and then upgrade to Leopard using the Leopard OS disks I bought? Or do I only install the Leopard OS per your instuctions?

Thanks again for your help!

4. macrumors 68000

disconap

The easiest method would be from a partition on a firewire drive, it's faster and doesn't require burning a dual-layered DVD (which are overpriced, and many burners are single-layer only).

EDIT: I don't know about Leopard Upgrade discs. I wasn't aware there were any...

5. Guest

spinnerlys

If it is an Upgrade disk, you need to install Tiger first.

6. macrumors 68040

666sheep

This, but i didn't tried. It seems that Leo Upgrade discs were for Intel Macs only.

7. macrumors newbie

Does your computer meet the system requirements for Leopard?
    (867 MHz, 512M ram, dvd drive)

Is your Leopard DVD the retail version (black with a purple swirl in the middle)?

If yes then you can just install it. First make a backup copy of your data. Then put the DVD in and restart while holding down the C key, and follow the instructions.

I don't know why they were going to charge $150 for that.