Is there a way to reset an Airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kingsly, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I need my Airport for a trip (leave Wednesday) but I haven't used it in a while, and forgot the password. Is there a way to reset it to factory settings?

ciao

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Did you RTFM?

There should be a reset button somewhere on the device itself.

3. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Unplug it, wait 30 seconds, hold in the reset button while plugging it in and keep holding it. The status light will blink 4 times. Now you can release it and run the airport setup assistant.

Enjoy!

4. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Tried that... followed Apple's support article to the letter. APAU keeps giving me an error. Its a graphite AirPort base, in case that helps.

Attached Files:

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

With my Airport Extreme I just pick it up and push the reset button in with a pen tip for 10 seconds. I have never unplugged it to reset and I have never had a problem. :confused:

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I have never even needed to reset my base station :eek:

7. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

When you said trip I thought you meant the Airport Express. I take mine with me everywhere.

Hmm.. configuration error message. What are you doing? You're doing the reset button thing and it's giving you a config error? Can you access it in the Airport Admin Utility? If so, then reset it, or reapply the last firmware update.

8. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Tried all that. I connect the ethernet cable to my MBP, unplug, plug in, push the reset button, open APAU, click the Airport, click configure, click automatic, it does its thing and comes back with the error. Arrgh!

9. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I know this doesn't help the problem you find yourself in now, but did you save the password in keychain? Just go to Keychain Access.app in the utilities folder and all your passwords should be saved there. (It'll prompt you for your master password to access them though)

10. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Nope, I'm on my MacBook Pro. Last time I used it was my iBook G3!

EDIT: I reset it using the iBook... worked fine. I guess something with OSX86 causes the old graphite Airports to freak out.

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

12. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yep, now If I can get it to work with a roadrunner cable modem (at the uncle's house) then all will be good. :) *fingers crossed*