Is there a way to SAVE all my settings, messages ,etc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tivoboy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

So, I am going to swap out this iMac for a new one. I want to save my settings and setup, messages, email setup, etc. Is there a way to save all this information somewhere, somehow and then just do an import when I get the new mac.

the migration assistant only seems to be "setup the mac you are CURRENTLY using" and not save settings for a future mac.

thanks

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

99% will be in your home folder, much of it in ~/Library/ (where ~/ is your home folder). So if you back up your entire home folder, on an external HD or DVD(s) then you should be able to get most back exactly as it was. The last % of settings and addons (which may include some Fonts and Sounds, if you've adden any) will be in /Library/, or scattered around elsewhere.

Best you can do, if you want everything exactly as it was, is to use one of the many disk cloners out there (serch MR for backup or cloning) and make a completely bootable clone of your HD.

3. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

home

so, my user ME say tivoboy/library. If I backup that folder then that would contain everything?

tivoboy/library?

thanks

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, or even better the whole /Users/tivoboy/ to get all your documents (and music etc), too... :)

5. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

funny

funny, running the copy of that folder, it says I cannot copy xxx mIDI support and then the whole thing just ends.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To where are you trying to copy it? Number one, make sure you're not trying to copy it to a destination inside itself. ;) Number two, make sure you have permissions to write to the destination?

7. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

just to an external drive

that is connected on the network.

I worked AROUND that folder since I am mostly concerned with settings, mail etc. It seemed to copy fine.

any tips on ERASING data before sending it back home.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want to erase the disk before you send it back, you can boot off the system install / restore DVD, and then click on the options during the install, and you can erase the disk and also re-install. You might be able to just erase the disk from the DVD without installing, but then it would not be bootable at all.

There are several options for writing zeros over the disk for security. They're there for you, but be aware that they can take a LONG time to complete. :(

9. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

tips for imporing

anyone have a tip for importing this information BACK into my new intelimac?
    do I just move the folders in?

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

More or less, yes.

Here's a good article to start with... :)