Is there a way to 'stick' stickies to the desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acedickson, Jul 7, 2005.

1. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I'd like to be able to make one and then stick it to the desktop. Is it possible?

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Forget about the one in Dashboard. Go into your Applications folder and look for a program there called "Stickies." These will stick to your desktop.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Even "stickies" the program doesn't really stick to your desktop... they float in layers just like any other window does. So in answer to your question, I don't know of any program that actually lets you "stick" the note there, although I wish they'd develop it.

4. acedickson thread starter macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I am referring to the the stickies app, not the widget. I don't like that they float, I'd ike to have them on the desktop. Ah well...

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Oh, ok. Sorry. I misunderstood what you meant.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Interestingly, in another thread ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=136592 ) there is discussion of a program called Amnesty going shareware; that program, it would seem, allows you to have always-on Dashboard widgets that you can set to always be at desktop level. Combine that with the Dashboard Sticky widget, and it would seem you've got exactly what you're looking for.

Unfortunately for you, it would also seem that it's going to cost you a $20 shareware fee now. Worth at least a test-drive, though, and you can tell us if it works.

7. acedickson thread starter macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Funny you mention that because I posted that amnesty is going shareware....lol. Anyways, I didn't even think of doing it that way. Too bad they're going shareware.

8. rekahs macrumors newbie

you could always change your dashboard settings so you can take widgets onto your desktop and then drag the stickies widget on.

it even stays there when you use expose then.
    thats what i do.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Heh... I certainly failed to notice the obvious. I should pay more attention to names before I post.

10. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

If you use the stickies app, you can set a 'sticky' so it stays on top of all windows. Not sure whether this is something someone else in this thread has described already, but if it's not, this is what I do.

::20ROGERSC::

11. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I read a post several moths ago explaining how to make widgets stay on your desktop permanantly. I now have the weather widget permanantly on the desktop but want it gone, and i cant find the post that tells me how to undo this. Does anyone know how to make this go away????

12. rekahs macrumors newbie

yeah you can get it back by holding on it then pressing f12.
    or hold alt over it to close it.

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Regarding permanent stickies, an excellent free solution is Sidenote.

Sidenote acts as a sticky replacement and does a wonderful job, well worth checking out.