Is there an iPad simulator available?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arbitrage, May 5, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Is there an iPad simulator that one can download and install apps onto from itunes. I'm waiting to preorder my iPad on May10th in Canada and have started downloading apps for it (mostly free ones at this point in case they delay this thing again). I wanted to try some of the apps out and wondered if anyone has created a simulator that you can sync with itunes for mac or PC.

Thanks for any info....1 month to go to iPad.

2. macrumors 603

No.

3. macrumors member

only simulator I know of comes with the 3.2 SDK if you are a developer like me. It emulates most things but not all, like OpenGL ES for example.

4. macrumors member

Really? The iPad simulator doesn't emulate OpenGL ES? I did not know that. I haven't tried running OpenGL ES code on the iPad simulator, but I thought I did on the iPhone simulator and it worked. I guess there are limitation.

Anyway, no big deal since I can just test on the device directly.

5. macrumors 68040

Technically it doesn't emulate anything. It just compiles your code to native intel binaries for the host machine and links against libraries built the same way. That's why it's called a simulator rather than an emulator.

6. macrumors newbie

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i plan to create an iBook for my company on how to use, configure iOS devices.

anybody know of an iOS simulator (for developers?), that could record what happens on the simulator?

anybody have any idea how i could achieve this?

thanks in advance.

9. macrumors 65816

seong

For ibooksauthor, you have to have an iPad to get it working.

10. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i have an iPad.

could you point me in the right direction how to do this?

thanks.

11. macrumors 6502a

The simulator only gives you the basics too - no app store, most apps missing, etc. You'd be much better off doing that on the real device, and just taking snapshots (press power + home together to take one).

12. macrumors regular

I would assume you could also get a video capture card, and do it that way too, if you have to have video. I assume there are capture cards out there that would work with the iPad mirroring feature. I would guess as long as it has an HDMI input, it wouldn't be a problem.

13. macrumors 65816

seong

I think in the iBooks author app, there is an option to preview, or simulate, the book on your iPad, which should be connected to your computer via USB.

14. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i guess this would be my weekend project. thanks. and i would keep in touch.