Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I'm wondering if Apple has put in a feature for applications that let you upgrade to "HD" apps for a fee. For example, if you own app "A" for the iphone and maybe the developers want to allow users to upgrade to the new app for a small fee, is this a built in feature?

Or is the only option to buy the app all over again?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
If { User has app: normal }

Then { Proceed to app: premium upgrade phobos page }

Else { Proceed to app: premium full price page }

? lol idk :)

SebZen

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
I'm wondering if Apple has put in a feature for applications that let you upgrade to "HD" apps for a fee. For example, if you own app "A" for the iphone and maybe the developers want to allow users to upgrade to the new app for a small fee, is this a built in feature?

Or is the only option to buy the app all over again?

No, an option like that will not be available

SebZen

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Devs can (and some did) modify their existing app to include the higher-rez resource files/UI layouts for the iPad and in that case the update would be free.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These are pretty much the only options available to devs:

1.) Convert existing iPhone app into universal app, makes iPad version free to existing iPhone customers because when they install it, the iPad version will launch by default

2.) Make a new app, they have to buy it like any other app, no way to tie it to another app they have purchased. If this weren't the case, then devs wouldn't have to make a new app when they want people to upgrade their existing app. See MLB at Bat. They can add new features, that are already in the software and unlocked via in-app purchase. See Navigon My Regions.

What I think would be neat is if someone installs an iPhone app on their iPad, when they launch it it pops up with a message for in-app purchase to unlock iPad features for a fee. That would be ideal, and a way for universal apps to take hold, as they would get money from it.

I've also read about some devs who are making universal apps at a loss simply because they think their iPhone app looks horrid as a pixel-doubled iPad version and want the best possible experience for their customers. Fine by me!

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

They should at least include the iPhone version in the iPad purchase.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

They should at least include the iPhone version in the iPad purchase.

Since the OP is specifically asking about upgrading Apps what would be the advantage in wanting an included iPhone App? The upgrade price would still be the same.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
From what I have read about iPad apps the only crossgrade path is if a developer releases a "universal" version. A universal app will contain both an iPhone/Touch version and an iPad version and iTunes will install the correct one.

If a developer releases an HD version it is iPad only and the App Store is not sophisticated enough to separate existing users from new users to offer a special crossgrade price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.